"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

When making stock the heat is not super high so burning should not be a big issue. Also, if you put the bones in first and everything else on top then only the bones are touching the bottom so nothing that is in contact down there should burn.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

True Confessions time.

A number of years ago, I saw a set of 4 stainless steel stock pots in the supermarket. There were 8-, 12-, 16-, and 20-quart stockpots with lids. I couldn't resist the price so I bought them all for a total of $20.00!

The metal was very thin. I use one to brine turkeys. I use the 20-qt. for stock and that's about it. I have made countless batches of chicken stock with no issues.

If you add the veggies to the pot last, they never reach the bottom and won't burn. They aren't much good except when full of liquid but they work great for stock and brining.

My point is to reinforce what GB said. Buy a SS pot with a disk on the bottom and save your money for other stuff. Like buying us all gifts

Old 11-06-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
Executive Chef

We're a family of two and have an 18 quart. We find it quite useful for tasks like cooking crabs and making large batches of minestrone when the veggies are in season. Would like to have a 20 quart but the 18 quart is about the largest that fits comfortably on the stove and in the sink.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I would guess 12 qt is a good all round size. I would prefer a disc/encapsulated bottom on good stainless to raw aluminum if buying in a restaurant store.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

hi, i'm new here.
my current stock pot is 20 qt stainless.
i get about a gallon or so of stock with it
i just did a carcass of a 25# turkey in it, and i want a larger stock pot.
we are just two people but there is nothing like your own homemade stock
i freeze and can it as well
i do a lot of big batch cooking and during canning season my stock pot doubles as a boiling water bath canner while my pressure canners are all in use

as long as it fits on the stove, and you can comfortably see into it, and ladle out of it, bigger (IMOP) is definitely better

vi
(who is got some gift certificates to spend on cookware, and a new larger stock pot is on the list)