"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-10-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Just bought my first Le Cruset

I had to do it. I've been wanting one for so long. Yesterday I was making Osso Vuco with my heavy 12" cast aluminum pan. In the end it just didn't taste the same. No fawn development. Not enough airspace on the top for braizing. Simply not the best way to cook the meal.

The unit I purchased is the 7.25 qt oval Doufeu. This one has an indentation on the top. The top can also be used as a casserole dish. The msrp was $300.00 but I got it for $150.00 plus shipping. I'm sure that's about average but I really like shopping at Ebay.

I should get it in about a week. I can't wait!!!

Old 07-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Good for you HomeChef! Let us know what other great meals you make with your new Le Cruset.

Old 07-10-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I think the 7.25 is the best size for most uses, especially if it's your only piece. I have a round oven in that size. It's great for osso buco, chili, pot roasts and stews.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home chef
I had to do it. I've been wanting one for so long. Yesterday I was making Osso Vuco with my heavy 12" cast aluminum pan. In the end it just didn't taste the same. No fawn development. Not enough airspace on the top for braizing. Simply not the best way to cook the meal.

The unit I purchased is the 7.25 qt oval Doufeu. This one has an indentation on the top. The top can also be used as a casserole dish. The msrp was $300.00 but I got it for $150.00 plus shipping. I'm sure that's about average but I really like shopping at Ebay.

Enjoy, Home chef. I have the Staub version and love it. The oval shape is perfect for shanks or cuts like brisket. And hey, not only does it make incredible "slow" cooked dishes, but just lifting the thing when it's filled with a big pot roast or lamb shanks plus veggies and liquid gives me the day's workout.

As for Le Creuset, I do have their 6 3/4 wide French oven (beautiful blue), which is wider and shallower than their regular round ones: http://www.lecreuset.com/usa/product...product_id=121 It's perfect for so many dishes, but especially handy for sauteeing a large amount and then braising. I got a great deal on it through eBay.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:27 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Enjoy your new toy. I agree with Andy that the size you got it perfect. You will love it! You got a great price too, assuming the shipping was not another $100
Old 07-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I purchased my enameled cast iron 6 qt. oval French Oven from QVC.com. They have some real good values and outstanding cookware. You probably have lots of experience with eBay but I'm just a bit gun-shy due to all the reports of shady operators there. QVC.com also has a liberal return policy.

Check out QVC.com if you get a chance. Here is there selection of "Dutch" and "French" ovens:

http://www.qvc.com/asp/frameset.asp?...-COOKING&qic=y

They don't have anything as big as your 7.5 quart size.

You are right, there is a major difference in taste when you use good utensils and cookware. Things cook evenly and predictably.

Enjoy.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
Master Chef

You'll love it, Home Chef! I have the same size and shape as Andy and also find it very, very useful. This year I even used it to make a huge batch of strawberry jam.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

That's a great price. When you want more shop at caplanduval.com. They have very good prices and include shipping as does amazon.com.
Also consider shopping the Mario Batali line of cast iron--about half of LC and good quality but not many styles yet. Also shop Tuesday Morning or TJMaxx for enamel cast iron.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home chef

All of my cookware is either Le Creuset or Lodge cast iron. I have one Farberware skillet (12 inch) that I use for browning. When you say "fawn" do you mean fond? Fond are the bits of brown pieces that stick to the bottom of the pan when browning. I transfer my Osso Buco to a LeCreuset Dutch Oven and it comes out to die for!!! Nothing beats cast iron and LC is awesome. I have 23 peices of the stuff and love every piece.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:18 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
...I transfer my Osso Buco to a LeCreuset Dutch Oven...
Do you feel that you cannot brown the veal shanks successfully in the LeCrueset? I use my LeC from start to finish.