Multicooker vs Steamer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alisa Jkey

Assistant Cook
Good afternoon, just need a piece of advice from experienced ones. Recently I've seen in my neighbor's kitchen such a great multicooker :chef:. She's using it for making a main dish and for soups as well. Sometimes she even bakes some pies there. It has something like 20 functions or more, including steaming, backing, slow cooking and others.

Week ago I was thinking to buy a new steamer, but now trying to choose between it and multicooker (the last one is a bit more expensive, brand is Redmond).

Maybe somebody has any experience to use multicooker. Is it really useful? Should I buy it or simple steamer is enough. I have a family of 3, including a small child.

It looks like this, not really big or small
47cc687e3d7f.png
. Price is about 100 pounds together with cook book and steam basket.

Good morning, welcome to DC!

I don't know much about kitchen appliances.

Below is the multicooker and steamer that I use in my kitchen.:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think I would select the appliance that gave me the most options for the money.

Good Luck!

mOpodwVL-SYE3DLvI9ektMA.jpg
msPigscdLCb-ZZDSmtZxXMQ.jpg

Multi-cooker than. I spend hours comparing the Redmond’s abilities and modes to cook different type of food. Although steamer is relatively cheaper, I d rather choose the multi-cooker. Maybe somebody use the same brand? Any opinion?

I'm with Aunt Bea. Regular pots and pans are all multi-cookers. But if want that item, go for it.

Good morning, welcome to DC!

I don't know much about kitchen appliances.

Below is the multicooker and steamer that I use in my kitchen.:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think I would select the appliance that gave me the most options for the money.

Good Luck!

mOpodwVL-SYE3DLvI9ektMA.jpg
msPigscdLCb-ZZDSmtZxXMQ.jpg

These two plus an oven, a cake pan and a braising pot.

That's my multicooker.

Good afternoon, just need a piece of advice from experienced ones. Recently I've seen in my neighbor's kitchen such a great multicooker :chef:. She's using it for making a main dish and for soups as well. Sometimes she even bakes some pies there. It has something like 20 functions or more, including steaming, backing, slow cooking and others.

Week ago I was thinking to buy a new steamer, but now trying to choose between it and multicooker (the last one is a bit more expensive, brand is Redmond).

Maybe somebody has any experience to use multicooker. Is it really useful? Should I buy it or simple steamer is enough. I have a family of 3, including a small child.

Hi, and welcome to Discuss Cooking :)

The cooking equipment you need depends more on what you like to cook than on the size of your family. Traditional cookware is much more versatile than a slow cooker or steamer, but if you often need to hold food at a certain temperature, or want a slow cooker for cooking food all day, then you might want to look at one of those.

A pan and steamer basket, as Aunt Bea pointed out, is sufficient for steaming, and I have a slow cooker I use for things like pulled pork, but I don't like the texture of most foods cooked all day in a slow cooker, so I don't use it a whole lot.

So it really depends on how you like to cook :)

Yeah. They are all sort of multicookers. But to be really "multi," it has to be readily adaptable to multiple methods. I got a Presto Kitchen Kettle cooker, and the temperature control runs from warm, then 200, and up to 400F. The basket can fry or steam. While it can steam, slow cook, boil, of fry and do any of them well enough, if you fry frequently, it can get tied up as a fryer, unless you pour up the oil each time. I use mine as a fryer, and it's a perfect fryer for two to four people, because it has enough power to recover oil temperature quickly, and the basket is pretty clearly a fryer basket. So I to the other job in other pots and devices. I have never been tempted to buy a dedicated steamer appliance. I can easily steam in a pot on the range. Without automatic temperature control, the range is not so suited for frying.

Well, Redmond has a bunch of modes and some types has unlimited modes because of Multichief option. But I'm thinking that 10-20 is enough to cook typical dishes, and steam, fry, bake and so on. Moreover, they give 24 months warranty, it's kinda more than other brands give. Thank you for your opinions! I'm going to buy it soon, and share how it is.

These two plus an oven, a cake pan and a braising pot.

That's my multicooker.

Well, maybe you understand it wrong. As for me, the main advantage of muliti-cooker is that you can put the ingredients inside, press the mode and set timer. Let’s say do it after lunch time. And voila – multicooker makes a dinner.

Well, maybe you understand it wrong. As for me, the main advantage of muliti-cooker is that you can put the ingredients inside, press the mode and set timer. Let’s say do it after lunch time. And voila – multicooker makes a dinner.

Is anyone home to keep an eye on multi-cooker while its on? Can multi-cooker grill a steak, roast potatoes and saute carrots and green beans at the same time?:ROFLMAO:

Well, no it cannot. But this device saving my time during the weekdays. I have 2 kids and I’m working, so multi cooker helps me to make some simple dishes like soup, veggies, fish, stew and so on. And you don’t need to keep an eye on that. You just need to put ingredients, program it and after serve the ready meal ))

Well, no it cannot. But this device saving my time during the weekdays. I have 2 kids and I’m working, so multi cooker helps me to make some simple dishes like soup, veggies, fish, stew and so on. And you don’t need to keep an eye on that. You just need to put ingredients, program it and after serve the ready meal ))

I don't leave anything that heats up on while nobody is home. Do you have pets that stay in the house when you're not home? Is your multi-cooker made in China?

As for the items I mentioned about cooking at the same time, well I can so therefore I am a multi-cooker!:ohmy:

Don't mind CraigC. He doesn't seem to get that not everyone wants to do things his way.

You don't seem to have a sense of humor.:ROFLMAO: However, I'm dead serious about leaving things that heat up when nobody is around.

You don't seem to have a sense of humor.:ROFLMAO: However, I'm dead serious about leaving things that heat up when nobody is around.
Other than the built in baseboard heaters, I don't either. I don't run the washing machine, even on cold either when I'm not home.

While I love good multi-purpose tools, I also don't want something that is so multi that it can't figure out how to do anything well. I have found that any item like this is going to compromise on at least some of its functions.

I have something called an "Everything Pot" that we were given as a wedding gift 22 years ago. It's still going strong, and while it doesn't really do "everything", it does a lot of things quite well as long as they involve boiling, steaming, simmering, etc., and has gotten heavy use. It is not self powered - requires a range for that.

While I sympathize with your position, I'd still go with a good slow cooker which will do what it's designed to do pretty well, and can be used as you need it to cook while you are attending to your youngsters.

Don't quite get this. The only reason we have a slow cooker is to be able to put on a pot of something and let it cook while we attend to other things. That usually means when we are not at home. We did that for 15 years before I retired, and although our old Crockpot (it's from before they had the fancy electronics - just high, low, and off) doesn't get as much use as it once did, there are still some things that we just naturally cook in it, and usually planned for when we won't be home until too late to cook a proper meal otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom