"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-13-2006, 09:49 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercliff_46
Gee! This seems to happen a lot more then it should. Don't know how much I'll be using mine anymore.
DON'T stop using your pyrex, Dennis.
Just make sure you never take it from a "hot" environment to a "cold" environment; ie . don't take it from the oven and put it on a counter top without a straw mat, or a kitchen towel underneath. Then nothing will happen.

I actually did the same, except mine was a bit more spectacular. I pulled the pyrex from the oven, full of delicious oven-roasted sauce which had got a little dry.
Whipped the bottle of cold white wine from the fridge and splashed some on.
CRACK! CRACK!

Goodbye sauce.
I believe it's called thermal interchange, or something like that...

Old 09-13-2006, 11:03 PM   #22
Master Chef

Dad's, too. sigh. that was a vintage dish.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:22 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Dear folks,

The comment below is posted on Amazon.com, under the 9x13 pyrex baking dish--along with numerous comments about "explosions." From what I can gather, the new Pyrex is for microwave cooking only.

========================================

Corning Glass Works used to make Pyrex, a name synonymous with borosilicate glassware. Corning spun off its kitchenware division in 1998, and the Pyrex brand is now owned by World Kitchen, Inc.

Pyrex kitchen products produced by World Kitchen are no longer made from borosilicate glass, and their packaging indicates that they must never be used over a flame, on stove tops, under a broiler, or in a toaster oven. Hence the exploding glassware. Pre-1998 Pyrex tends to crack into large pieces rather than shattering. Keep your pre-1998 Pyrex and treat it nicely so it will last. Anything you buy now may blow up in your face!
Old 09-14-2006, 12:28 AM   #24
Head Chef

I've always been wary about using glass cookware. They're breakable, heavy, and expensive. This clinches it for me.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:29 AM   #25
Master Chef

Dad's broke in our oven!
Old 09-14-2006, 05:20 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Pyrex

Hello Kirby
If u put pyrex, in cold water, when it is still hot, it can break. Was there some cold water, where u put it down?
Mel
Old 09-14-2006, 06:34 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Water is water - cold or hot, a hot Pyrex pan shouldn't be placed in ANY liquid ever!!

~Corey123.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:13 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

Hey, the same thing happened to me when I was cooking some chicken in one of those blue Pyrex cookware.

The only was only at 325 and it had beeb cooking for maybe thirty minutes. I opened the oven door to turn it, then about five minutes after that, it just broke right in the oven.

It freaked me out, sounds like your experience freaked you out. I wonder if Pyrex is more delicate than you'd think, I've used it for years without these kind of problems.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

Take it from someone who knows the insides and outs of . You are to avoid any sudden temperature change with Pyrex. When you take it out of the oven it is recommend that you put the pan on dry pot holders. Any drop of water on the counter or the sink will cause the dish to break. Pyrex glass bakeware however, can do directly from a freezer or fridge to a pre heated oven.. Also when cooking meats and veggies in a Pyrex that release liquid while baking always add atleast and inch of liquid to the bottom or else it will break..
Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 PM   #30
Head Chef

Smile

Regarding your Pyrex exploding first what did you put under it when you took it out of the oven. I have always used Pyrex in the oven and never had a problem. I have never used it in the broiler. I hope you are okay.

Have a happy day.

Jill and Jolie