Exploding Pyrex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petek

Cook
Here's a video that I found to be interesting. It discusses why some types of pyrex glassware tends to break more easily than other types:

Pyrex with a capital P is the real stuff. Pyrex with a small p is not and is inferior, and is made with a different material.

With my Pyrex, I always allow for slow temperature changes when I use it. For example, if I do a make-ahead dish (casserole) that's placed into the fridge overnight to be baked the next day, I'll pull it out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for at least 1/2 hour before placing it into the oven. On that note, I never place it into a pre-heated oven. Once the dish has been sitting out on the counter for at least 30-45 minutes, I then place it into a cold oven, then turn the oven on to let it come up to temperature slowly.

In fact, I do that with all of my glass bakeware, just to err on the side of caution.

With my Pyrex, I always allow for slow temperature changes when I use it. For example, if I do a make-ahead dish (casserole) that's placed into the fridge overnight to be baked the next day, I'll pull it out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for at least 1/2 hour before placing it into the oven. On that note, I never place it into a pre-heated oven. Once the dish has been sitting out on the counter for at least 30-45 minutes, I then place it into a cold oven, then turn the oven on to let it come up to temperature slowly.

In fact, I do that with all of my glass bakeware, just to err on the side of caution.
Same here and almost all of my glass bakeware dates to the 1980s or earlier.

Pyrex with a capital P is the real stuff. Pyrex with a small p is not and is inferior, and is made with a different material.
Did you watch the video? She did tests with Pyrex glassware with both uppercase letters and lower case letters and found that both types could shatter when exposed to temperature stress. It wasn't as good an indicator as looking at it in a clear container full of vegetable oil.

I haven't had any issues with Pyrex bakeware, but my glass bakeware is almost all from the 1980s or earlier. I have had Duralex serving dishes suddenly shatter explosively. I'll admit that one of the episodes was ex pushing its limits. He thought he could boil a Xmas pudding in one of my Duralex serving bowls. I got an apology (I had told him not to do it and why.), but I would have rather had my serving bowl intact.

Last edited:
I’ve never had any Pyrex explode.

I have had a few pieces of Pyrex break and it is a bit dangerous to clean up those tiny splinters and sharp slivers of glass.

I don’t believe that Pyrex is any more dangerous than anything else we encounter in the average kitchen. 🔥🔪🦠

I’ve never had any Pyrex explode.

I have had a few pieces of Pyrex break and it is a bit dangerous to clean up those tiny splinters and sharp slivers of glass.

I don’t believe that Pyrex is any more dangerous than anything else we encounter in the average kitchen. 🔥🔪🦠
I agree, it's probably no more dangerous than most kitchen stuff. But, I think it's worth the effort to be cautious with it. E.g., I wouldn't dream of taking a Pyrex dish with food in it out of the fridge straight into a hot oven

I've had my pyrex dishes since the mid 60's and I have no idea how long my mom had them before that.
Can't say I haven't put them directly in an oven but then I can't say I have.
One caution I take with ALL dishes coming straight from a hot oven is to put them on a wood board.

I know of only one incident personally a dish exploded on them. She was removing a dish with Mac'n Cheese from the oven when it exploded. She thinks the catalyst was when she knocked it on the shelf while removing. Not only was she upset with hot burning stuff all over the place - She was in her mom's kitchen (house sitting) and her mom had a carpeted kitchen floor.
OMG - remember those carpets!
She had no idea how to fix all the little burn holes, nor how she was ging to afford a new carpet - and to explain it to her mom when she got back. All she kept saying was "she's gonna kill me, she's gonna kill me"

Did you watch the video? She did tests with Pyrex glassware with both uppercase letters and lower case letters and found that both types could shatter when exposed to temperature stress. It wasn't as good an indicator as looking at it in a clear container full of vegetable oil.
No, I don't generally watch videos. I saw an article a while back that talked about the difference in the capitalization and about the difference in the materials used and the manufacturing process.

We've had 1 piece explode, and were finding bits of glass for months because it went  everywhere in our open kitchen/family room. But, that's because Craig did something incredibly stupid not good and I wasn't paying attention so didn't have a chance to stop him. He had roasted a piece of beef in a 13x9 Pyrex baking pan, took it out of the oven, took the beef out, proceeded to sit the pan on the stove, turned a burner on to add flour for a roux for gravy. Though I wouldn't have used the roasting pan to make gravy on the stove and would have poured drippings into a saucepan, everything was fine until he proceeded to pour in stock straight from the refrigerator.

I really can't call it stupid though because he had never used oven glassware before, though common sense should have been in play. I was the one that normally did the roasting of meat as he was more of a stovetop/metal pan self taught cook so he didn't know that even with the good Pyrex you shouldn't subject it to such extremely opposite temperatures.

I posted about a Pyrex measuring jug chipping along the edge some years ago on this very site. I think I have always assumed that Pyrex is very strong, but it is just glass at the end of the day. Meanwhile, I have Pyrex roasting dishes which I have used for many years in the oven with no issues at all. But, as already mentioned, I do tend to have the glass at room temp before I put it into a very hot oven. Just seems like common sense.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom