"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-09-2008, 12:53 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Newbie here; looking for some cookware assistance

Hello all,

So ive been researching what set to buy for quite some time now and have decided on Anolon since its seems to be the best deal for the money.

There are currently two sets available from Anolon: the "Advanced" which has see through lids and rubber handles and the "Titanium" which has Stainless/Titanium lids and aluminum handles.

The latter is definitely more attractive to me, although im thinking I might want the glass lids?

Being that I know very little about what I will eventually need from my cookware, can anyone give me the pros and cons of each set or maybe offer some advice as to which one to buy?

Thanks!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:58 AM   #2
Master Chef

My SS set has glass lids and copper bottoms, and I am very happy I have the glass lids on em. If the rubber handles keep the handles from getting to hot to touch (as mine do) then that is another plus.
Other things things to consider would be cast iron pans and copper pans. Each has its own uses, and as you cook more and more you will get a better idea of what you would like and need, but SS is a good place to start out.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:03 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
My SS set has glass lids and copper bottoms, and I am very happy I have the glass lids on em. If the rubber handles keep the handles from getting to hot to touch (as mine do) then that is another plus.
Other things things to consider would be cast iron pans and copper pans. Each has its own uses, and as you cook more and more you will get a better idea of what you would like and need, but SS is a good place to start out.
Thanks for the reply.
I have tried SS in the past and it always...well-stains.
Is that because I didnt buy a good enough brand?
I can stand that orange/brown staining that occurs on the bottoms.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:07 AM   #4
Master Chef

If it gets dark stains or dimples on the inside that's bad. It has to either be thrown out or resurfaces. If it is copper bottom and you get the orange or brown stains on it, then you can use a good copper cleaner and scrub it all clean again. Me, I don't worry about much until it gets almost black, then I clean it up.
If there is no copper on the bottom, well then I am not sure what the staining would mean, but someone will be along that knows more about that than I.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:21 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Yesterday I used a stainless skillet for the first time in ... Years? A very long time.

I use copper clad stainless pans regularly. I don't think about or notice the discoloration of the copper, keeping the copper shiny is too much like work, and I think it makes no difference in how well the pan works.

Thing about buying sets is you could buy a set of good cookware and find it doesn't work for you at all. Or you may get one piece of iron from a thrift store and like it so much you start a collection.

This probably didn't help.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Yesterday I used a stainless skillet for the first time in ... Years? A very long time.

I use copper clad stainless pans regularly. I don't think about or notice the discoloration of the copper, keeping the copper shiny is too much like work, and I think it makes no difference in how well the pan works.

Thing about buying sets is you could buy a set of good cookware and find it doesn't work for you at all. Or you may get one piece of iron from a thrift store and like it so much you start a collection.

This probably didn't help.
LOL-it didnt-but you made me laugh nonetheless, so it was worth it
Old 12-09-2008, 03:27 AM   #7
Senior Cook

The first choice is non-stick or stainless steel interior.

If you want non-stick I'm not the man to give you advice because I never have and never will use non-stick.

From there there are certain features that I consider to be very desirable, although you may not find all features on one set of pans.
1) Glass lids. Lets you see how the cooking is going without opening the lid
2) Metal handles. Lets you go from the stovetop to the oven or grill. Panroasting is one of the most useful cooking techniques and no matter how they advertise it plastic handles don't cope with the transfer anywhere near as well as metal handles.
3) Thick metal. The thicker the metal the better the heat retention and transfer and less susceptibility to hot spots.

The most important decision then is the metal. The short version is:
Cast Iron: Heavy, slow to heat and cool, excellent heat retention. Needs to be seasoned.
Copper: Heavy, fast to heat and cool, excellent for adjusting heat through the cooking. High maintenance to keep looking good.
Stainless Steel: Relatively poor conductor so you can get hot and cool spots. The worst performer in terms of cooking. The easiest to clean and keep clean.
Aluminium: Good conductor. Light. Susceptible to warping. Not the easiest to clean.
Fusion: Usually a SS interior with a sandwich of aluminium, steel and/or copper. You get the advantage of the SS practicality for cleaning and the benefit of the better cooking properties of aluminium or copper. IMO unless you want to spend serious money on copper or cast iron the best choice.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:51 AM   #8
Cook

One of the best investments you will ever make for your kitchen, is Alton Brown's book "Gear for Your Kitchen". For me it's the Bible I go to when I want to purchase kitchen stuff. He covers everything in such detail, he must have 10 pages just on metals used in cookware. At $17.95, it's one of the cheapest things you'll ever purchase for the kitchen.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:43 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Personally, I'm not a fan of glass lids. I have a lot of family and guests who use my kitchen and not all of them are as careful as they should be. Over time, there's too much possibility of breaking glass lids. I'd go for the set with the stainless lids.

For cleaning, I recommend Barkeepers Friend. I use the powder, not the liquid.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:10 AM   #10
Master Chef

I don't think they make the Titanium line anymore.

I recommend SS and metal lids.

Barkeepers Friend will get rid of most stains on SS.