"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
Senior Cook

No such luck. I bought it at a consignment shop. I don't even know if there are different sizes or not. This 15" might be the only size they have. I have another question though. I haven't used it yet but I wonder about cleaning it before I use it. I just ran hot water over it and used a plastic scrubbie with it. I just wonder if that will be enough to get any germs off from the previous owner. Someone told me not to put soap on it. The young ladies at the consigment shop said their mothers put theirs in the dishwasher!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

No Dishwasher for baking stones!!!!! When you buy them new they come with some small scrubbers which work great without harming the surface. All I use on mine and I use them often....though rarely for pizza I just realized. I use them for my catering - baked pastry appetizers, etc.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:10 PM   #13
Senior Cook

i dont clean my stone....just keep it in the oven at all times, and occasionally brush off some of the burnt crud that collects....absolutely no soap or other cleaners, as the stone will absorb it.....i know people who put it through the oven cleaning cycle, which i bet works well.....i dont think you need to worry about germs - if you use it right, you give the stone/oven a significant time to pre-heat to a very high temp, which should kill most nasties

Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #14
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoodleIncident View Post
i dont clean my stone....just keep it in the oven at all times, and occasionally brush off some of the burnt crud that collects....absolutely no soap or other cleaners, as the stone will absorb it.....i know people who put it through the oven cleaning cycle, which i bet works well.....i dont think you need to worry about germs - if you use it right, you give the stone/oven a significant time to pre-heat to a very high temp, which should kill most nasties

Couldn't agree with you more, Noodle. I use my little scrubbers dry on the stone and anything left gets baked off the next time I use it.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Thanks Ladies, I am going to use my stone today. My gson is out of school and I thought I'd cook one of those frozen pizza's that he likes. I also am going to bake some sweet potatoes. Would they cook good on there? I usually just cook them in a pan, just wondered though.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #16
Executive Chef

There are masonry blades available which are capable of making straight cuts in tile, brick, etc. using a radial arm or table saw.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #17
Senior Cook

My husband has a tile cutter and other type of tools. That's why I thought he might could do that. If he could just cut the 2 sides it would fit my oven. I just don't want to ruin it though.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #18
Master Chef

Schoolgirl, why don't you do what Lee did for your smaller oven? It would be the perfect size!

Locksmith (Lee) said:
Quote:
I paid $1.67 for an unglazed saltillo tile at home depot. It's about 12 inches square and I keep it on the bottom of my oven all the time. Every now and then I make a pizza and put the pizza directly on the stone.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Well Kayelle, I actually did buy one and then wondered if I should use it. I ask the employee in Lowe's about an unglazed tile and this is what I bought. The employee said he had never heard of it and suggested I put it in a hot oven for a while. I don't know if it was a saltillo tile or not(I'm not familiar with the different type tiles).
Old 10-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Don't use any soap product on the stone unless you want your pizza, cookies and whatever else you cook on it to taste like Palmolive or Cascade! The hot water and plastic scrubbie will do fine; it will retain spotting-this is OK. Don't use the scrubbies with fine threading; they will shred. Unglazed tiles from a hardware store will do the same job at much less cost. It is OK to leave them in your oven all the time. It does not use more energy to heat them up and helps regulate your oven temperature too. Also work great for 'warming up' precooked holiday entrees prepared ahead of time (like a hotplate). When hot, use metal or wood utensils - the temp will melt plastic.