"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Pampered Chef stone

I bought a probably 15 inch pizza stone and when I got home it is too big for my Hamilton beach countertop oven. I needed a 12inch . I bought it at a consignment store. I was thrilled, because I've wanted one for a long time. Can these type stone be cut down? My husband is very handy for doing things like that, but I hate to ruin it. I don't know if anyone has ever ask this question. I have a big oven, but just hate to use it. Any ideas folks???

Old 10-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Master Chef

You have a big oven you hate to use? Is there a reason? No way would I try to cut down that beautiful stone down to a smaller size.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

In a home workshop, it may be difficult to cut it down to a 12" circle without causing it to crack into pieces. It's very hard and brittle.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

Do NOT try to cut it. It will crack for sure. I have several Pampered Chef stones and remember my friend who sold them to me telling me that one lady wanted to return her pizza stone because it broke. When my friend saw it she asked what the holes were around the main crack. The woman told her that her husband was trying to put handles on to make it easier to get it out of the oven. Of course, the warranty didn't cover that!

For the length of time it will take to bake, why not use your "big" oven?

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Senior Cook

During the summer I don't like to use the big oven because it heats the house up so much. I love to use my countertop oven, it cooks faster and I can cook a 12" pizza in it. I didn't even think about it being too big. So, yes, I will have to use the oven because I sure don't want to ruin the stone. Thanks for your replies. As always I came to the place to find out what the answer would be!!
Old 10-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Used my PC pizza stone for the first time a couple months ago and I was really impressed... You'll love how the crust turns out... enjoy!!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I'm anxious to try it!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I had a PC stone for years but it finally cracked. Instead of shelling $20 for another I paid $1.67 for an unglazed saltillo tile at home depot. It's about 12 inches square and I keep it on the bottom of my oven all the time. Every now and then I make a pizza and put the pizza directly on the stone.

Lee
Old 10-24-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by locksmith View Post
I had a PC stone for years but it finally cracked. Instead of shelling $20 for another I paid $1.67 for an unglazed saltillo tile at home depot. It's about 12 inches square and I keep it on the bottom of my oven all the time. Every now and then I make a pizza and put the pizza directly on the stone.

Lee
If you had your PC receipt and knew of a representative in your area you could have exchanged your stone for a new one for free....as it sounds like it broke out of being well used. But I like stone in the oven bit too!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #10
Master Chef

No one suggested she contact the rep she bought it from and ask about exchanging it. It might be worth a try.