"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-10-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
Cook

Perforated Pie Plate

Does anyone use this pie plate? I'm curious about results. All comments welcome. Thank you. Betsy.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Rumor has it the perforations help the bottom crust cook better.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Head Chef

Test Kitchen reported that the perforated pans produced the soggiest kind of sorry pie crust of all. They speculate that the perforations, which are intended to allow steam to escape, do indeed allow steam to escape. The problem is that the steam limits the temperature across the bottom and actually prevents good browning. I presume this is mainly a problem with filled pies where the crust cooks from bottom heat.

Glass and ceramic are consistently felt to be best. There is a decided split about metal, whether it should be dark or light colored. I suspect that the difference is according to what work is being done. Dark is okay for bare prebaking of crusts. Light is preferred for filled pies, so the crust doesn't overcook before the filling.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I bought some Chicago Metallic perforated pans and they were awful, I was expecting them to produce a nicely baked crust, but just the opposite happened, even with a long 1 hour bake with pecan pie, they were still doughy on the bottom. I threw them away. The holes will allow the fat to drip out the bottom making a smoky mess in the bottom of the oven.

Go for glass, ceramic, or glazed stoneware, these will give you the best performance in my experience. The glass will allow you to check the bottom. I would stay away from non-stick, since pie is cut IN the pan, the first use will likely end up damaging the pan.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Rumor has it the perforations help the bottom crust cook better.
Apparently the rumors are wrong. I too use glass pie plates. The bottom crust is always great.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Apparently the rumors are wrong. I too use glass pie plates. The bottom crust is always great.
Me too. When I bake pies I always use Pyrex and my results are always good.

I'll trust ATK on the bread pans though.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Cook

Smile Perforated Pie Pan Update

Tried this pie pan today and was pleasantly surprised. Used convection oven. It came out perfectly browned. I let it cool and made a cream pie. Because the crust was cooked through (thus the holes) it was much easier to serve than any of my other pies. The crust was firmer than with my Pyrex. All in all I don't have a single complaint about this pan. Insomuch as I paid a quarter for it at a yard sale, I think I'll keep it. Thanks for all your input. Betsy.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittshel
Tried this pie pan today and was pleasantly surprised. Used convection oven. It came out perfectly browned. I let it cool and made a cream pie. Because the crust was cooked through (thus the holes) it was much easier to serve than any of my other pies. The crust was firmer than with my Pyrex. All in all I don't have a single complaint about this pan. Insomuch as I paid a quarter for it at a yard sale, I think I'll keep it. Thanks for all your input. Betsy.
I imagine that it would be fine for a empty baked shell, I used it for a filled shell and wasn't pleased with the results, I too use convection.

How can you go wrong for a quarter!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
I use glass with great results.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
Head Chef

I didn't want to be the first to poo poo perforated pans, but I have to agree with the majority here.

I use Corningware blue flower pie pans, and I get great crusts.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pie