"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2132
i heard that aluminum was linked alzheimer is that just a rumor
Absolutely no truth to that claim.

Old 02-23-2006, 02:49 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2132
i heard that aluminum was linked alzheimer is that just a rumor
working backwards through your questions ...

Aluminum cookware will probably not cause you to develop Alzheimer's disease - depending on which study you read. Check your library for a copy of Harold McGee's The Curious Cook and read Chapter 14 - Minding The Pots and Pans: The Case of Aluminum (pages 244-267) for a good discussion on aluminum and its correlation to Alzheimer's disease. Browse the aisles of a professional kitchen store ... almost all of the cookware is aluminum.

TJ Max sells at discount prices ... just because you get a deal (lower price) on an item there doesn't mean it is inferior quality - compared to the same item bought somewhere else at full price. Normally, burning things is caused from one of two reasons - either really thin cookware or trying to cook everything at full-bore temp to try to cook it faster under the assumption that "the higher the flame the faster it will be done". Even with the best cookware - you can burn things if the heat is too high.

There is a lot of good cookware out there these days with an "encapsulated" aluminum disk on the bottom of stainless steel pans that cook just as well as more expensive tri-ply. Anodized aluminum is good, as is cast iron and enamel coated cast iron or steel. And then there are the nonstick lines. They all have their advantages and their disadvantages as for how they cook. And, price is another consideration.

As your cooking skills grow - so will your collection of cookware. There is, IMHO, no one perfect set of cookware.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #13
Head Chef

Dave, I guess like most people we have a very eclectic collection of cookware.

But for the last few years have found some SS ware at a restaurant supplier.

The stuff is very, very reasonable, holds up very well, and is new. Don't know if you can find such a place in your area but a cruise through the yellow pages would not hurt.

But if you can find an auction for a restaurant that has gone out of business, it might give you a few bargains.

And estate sales often just give away stuff from the kitchen.

Just an idea.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:33 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

thank you all very much
Old 02-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #15
Cook

I just bought a bunch of new stainless pans. Tramitino Tri-Ply
http://www.smartbargains.com/go.sb?pagename=prod&deptid=54&isrw=2&catid=141&pro did=3010275499&aid=259

This is similiar to the selection that I picked up at my TJ Maxx. I did get a couple more pieces, but I also spent about 50 more dollars too. I'm very happy with them. I also find myself in my kitchen more then I would have been with my old teflon coated stuff.

Just a good option.