Pre-seasoned cast iron?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coookies

Cook
So I saw a "pre-seasoned" cast iron 10-inch skillet at Target for $20.. what on earth does this mean? I thought seasoning came from using over and over again and then you don't really wash it but rinse it off with a cloth... how would using a pre-seasoned cast iron skillet affect my cooking? The first thing that I would be making in it would be Tyler Florence's potatoe "pie" deal from his holiday dinner menu.

Thanks in advance!
Katie

When you first buy a cast iron pan the very first thing you need to do is season it. You are correct that it continues to season as you cook in it, but the initial seasoning is done without cooking anything. A popular way to do your first seasoning is to preheat your over to 400 degrees or so. Wash your pan with soap and water and then dry it and get it warm in the oven or on the stove top. Wipe a thin film of Crisco over the entire surface inside and out then put in the over upside down for an hour. Turn off the oven after an hour and let it cool overnight. You pan is now seasoned. This is basically what cast iron companies do to pre-season the pans as well.

Katie... I dont have personal experience with the "pre seasoned" pans (all of mine are vintage restoration projects) but I think you can basically consider it a starting point. Before making a potato pie I would either go through the seasoning process anyway or at the very least fry up a pound of bacon or so. It will take you awhile to build up the lovely slick surface that makes CI so great. In the meantime use oil liberally. Use the pan often and treat it right and it will get there.

FYI If you were to buy an unseasoned CI skillet it would come covered in wax or some other rust inhibitor that you will need to remove before seasoning.

No need to apologize!

Seasoning basically means that you are heating up the pan to open the iron pores. You then add fat and let it cool. the pores constrict and trap the fat. The fat then becomes part of the pan. After repeated use, the seasoning (fat) builds up and creates a non stick surface as well as a barrier from acids that might eat away at the iron.

Glorie

Cast iron in its raw state will rust and food would stick horribly to it. When the heated Iron and Fats come together they bond and create a black carbonized layer on the surface of the iron. This carbonized layer protects the iron from rusting and contributes to non stick quality of the pan. As you use the pan you add to this layer further protecting the iron and increasing the nonstickeyness. When you see a well used CI pan that black shiny surface is the "seasoning" a raw unseasoned pan will be a dull grey

Until recently, all cast-iron pans were purchased "unseasoned" and you had to go through the seasoning process before you could use it since it was the raw metal. "Pre-seasoned" pans have done the hard work for you and no pre-seasoning is necessary other than normal use and maintenance.

So when a pan is seasoned it has a slick surface... hm.. maybe the manufacturers of the CI pan at target are lying :-p cause it is not slick. I will definitely go through seasoning myself anyhow just to make sure. :) can I use plain old butter?

Thanks so much for your responses and help everyone, I think I will pick it up tomorrow. Wanted to go today but the last winter storm of 08 has other plans for me today...

I don't recommend butter! I would use Crisco (the new no transfat stuff works fine) or even better Lard.... but if the lard grosses you out and you have something against crisco use an oil with a high smoke point... not olive... Canola is ok.

I use olive oil after cooking but seasoning with it has not worked out great. I have had the best luck with crisco and bacon fat.

If you google you will get lots of instructions. I am definitley not an expert but here is what I have learned so far.... keep the coating thin... better to do it a few times than gunk it up and get it sticky.... use high heat none of this 300 stuff crank it up! Let it go for long enough at least 3-4 hours

Dont expect perfection on the first go. Your seasoning will develop with continued use. The seasoning process is what makes the pan useable... use makes it great.

It gets black and slick after many uses. It is a gradual process. It will not happen right away, but the more you use the pan the more the seasoning will build up and the slicker and blacker it will get.

I would not use butter, at least not for the initial seasoning. I would use Crisco. Butter can go rancid. Crisco will be your best bet.

So when a pan is seasoned it has a slick surface... hm.. maybe the manufacturers of the CI pan at target are lying :-p cause it is not slick.
I've never seen a true cast iron (pre-seasoned) pan that was already slick on the surface. That to me only comes from months/years of usage. The seasoning process is only to close the pores of the metal and prepare it for food so it won't stick. The nonstick of course improves with age and depth of seasoning.

I just bought a Paella pan and it also needs to be seasoned. Would the steps be any different than CI?

Paella pans are usually made of carbon steel and, yes, they must be seasoned or you'll have serious problems with rust and probably with sticking food as well.

The good news is that carbon steel isn't as pourous as cast iron and is much easier to season. If you want, you can use the same method as cast iron, but reduce the time. However, all you really need to do is to wash and dry thoroughly, then simply wipe it down with high smoke point cooking oil, such as peanut or canola, heat it on the stovetop over medium heat until it begins smoking, let it cool completely, then wipe it down with paper towels. It's then ready for use.

After each use, wash and dry thoroughly, then apply a light coat of cooking oil. If you don't, it will rust.

I don't recommend butter! I would use Crisco (the new no transfat stuff works fine) or even better Lard.... but if the lard grosses you out and you have something against crisco use an oil with a high smoke point... not olive... Canola is ok.

Haha actually I have been trying to find the all-natural Lard stuff cause Crisco actually grosses me out more than any other food on the planet! I suppose that is a story for another thread though ;)

I have been reading up on Cooks Illustrated about cast iron vs. stainless steel... I might have to start a new thread about that because I am getting confused. I want to make sure I am getting the right item that I can get the most use out of before I part with my money (even if it is only $20 :))

btw I am very glad I found this forum. you guys are all so informative and helpful!

If you do not want to use Crisco and can't find actual lard then just use regular vegetable oil. I would not use olive oil, but corn oil or canola oil or vegi oil will all work just fine. Just use enough to coat with a thin film though. You do not want it dripping wet. The mistake most first timers make is using too much. That will leave your pan sticky. wipe on just enough to coat. Too little is better than too much initially. You can always do the seasoning process a 2nd or third time if you need/want to.

After you season it you should use it to cook fatty foods first. Cooking bacon is one of the best things to do right after seasoning as there is a lot of fat that comes out and that really helps reinforce the seasoning.

Haha actually I have been trying to find the all-natural Lard stuff cause Crisco actually grosses me out more than any other food on the planet!

I have been reading up on Cooks Illustrated about cast iron vs. stainless steel... I might have to start a new thread about that because I am getting confused. I want to make sure I am getting the right item that I can get the most use out of before I part with my money (even if it is only $20 :))

Crisco is gross! I only use it for my CI seasoning but you can use oil.

Its not either/or its BOTH!:rolleyes: No matter which one you pick the other will do something better.

As stated I particularly love my Cast Iron but still use SS for a lot of cooking. For basics In general I would recommend a mostly SS kitchen with at least one CI pan and one enameled CI Dutch Oven (i find these indespensible).

Personally for 20 bucks I would go on e-bay and pick up an old Wagner and restore it but the Lodge will serve you well for years and years and become an important part of your kitchen. It is not a do everything pan though. What it does well it does better than anything else.

For any vegetarians here, or folks with an aversion to Crisco, who are thinking about CI, coconut oil seasons beautifully.

Mcnerd said:
I've never seen a true cast iron (pre-seasoned) pan that was already slick on the surface.

Nor have I -- What Lodge is doing with their Pro-Logic line of products is to give the consumer a head start by doing the initial ("pre-seasoned") seasoning of the pans etc. so they can truly be used right from the start. It is a marketing strategy to help eliminate fears of consumers (first time buyers) who seem to be intimidated, don't understand, confused etc, about the seasoning process. Are the pans perfectly seasoned? NO! That takes a lot of time, and use with proper care to achieve. While the Pro-Logic line can be used right "out of the box" I personally suggest putting the pans through a seasoning process in the home before use. It want hurt the pans -- It can only help move the process forward.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom