Preferred wood used for wooden cooking utensils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Until Jeannie met me @ age 53, she had never had a dishwasher in her home.. My home had one, subsequent homes we bought together had them but, Jeannie never uses a dishwasher..

Ross

Kayelle

How does using olive wood "excel in sauce making"? :ermm:
I admit my olive wood spatula helps to make me a happy cook with it's beauty, but not a better cook because of it. Jes sayin'..;)

I had just meant that I use my cured olive wooden spatulas for stirring my sauces. ( home made tomato sauce for example ) ..

Did not signify anything more than this ..

Just Cooking

Until Jeannie met me @ age 53, she had never had a dishwasher in her home.. My home had one, subsequent homes we bought together had them but, Jeannie never uses a dishwasher..

Ross

A dishwasher is a grand invention. If you have several young children and work outside of the home, or have dinner guests / Company , they are a marvel.

I don't think it matters what your wooden utensils come from which wood specie, as long as you like using them. Start with the most inexpensive (bamboo) and work your way to the next until you find what you like.

Bamboo aren't the cheapest. I'm not sure what kind of wood those cheapie spoons you can get at places like Walmart are made of, but they aren't bamboo.

A dishwasher is a grand invention. If you have several young children and work outside of the home, or have dinner guests / Company , they are a marvel.

I do not disagree at all..

From Jeannies perspective, she wanted/wants dishes cleaned and dried by hand..

An additional incentive for her was teaching her children..
Her first daughter was born sightless and many life lessons came from her second daughter and son working with their older sister on basic household skills..

With just we two now, there is no need for a dishwasher, in our view.. :)

Ross

My grandparents had a dishwasher but they never used it. They would put scalding hot water in both sides of the sink (soap in one side) and that's how you did dishes, you did not waste. They were so cute together. On holidays we would ask to use the dishwasher and it was granted not very often but hey... they had dishwashers... me and my aunts and cousins!

I certainly grew up without a dishwasher and some of my happiest memories was drying the dishes for my Mom after dinner. We'd sing songs and tell secrets while my Dad read the evening paper in the living room. My Dad was hard of hearing but he heard every secret we told in the kitchen. Funny how that worked when he paid attention!
My first dishwasher was after I had kids and I was a day care mother. It sure got a workout in those days! The best part of a dishwasher is being able to hide all the dirty dish clutter that can pile up if you can't get right to it.

I'd dry while my Mom washed too, Kayelle! We'd listen to the Indians baseball games and talk about the plays on the field, among other things. That's why to this day I'd rather listen than watch a game. It's like a little bit of Mom is back with me for those three hours. In fact, if she can, I bet she's still listening...

I certainly grew up without a dishwasher and some of my happiest memories was drying the dishes for my Mom after dinner. We'd sing songs and tell secrets while my Dad read the evening paper in the living room. My Dad was hard of hearing but he heard every secret we told in the kitchen. Funny how that worked when he paid attention!
My first dishwasher was after I had kids and I was a day care mother. It sure got a workout in those days! The best part of a dishwasher is being able to hide all the dirty dish clutter that can pile up if you can't get right to it.
I have to admit, fondest memories include my family and I washing dishes, drying and talking.. it was always the women. We always followed my grandmothers rules. My grandpa ate first because he was a coalminer and worked hard ((in his days of working) but after that the men and kids ate first. I still feed my kid and man first but heck after I cook I'm really not that hungry!

Last edited:
Bamboo aren't the cheapest. I'm not sure what kind of wood those cheapie spoons you can get at places like Walmart are made of, but they aren't bamboo.

Maybe the Walmart ones, that are not bamboo, are carved out of old pallet wood...who knows.

hmmm... I guess I'm glad to not be the only one with plain old wood of no distinction...

Maybe Jeannie will read this and buy me some gourmet spoons and spatulas for Christmas... ;)

All of mine are plain old wood of no distinction. Most of are of the 10 for $10 variety purchased at various yard sales. 4 or 5 dollars a turkey roaster full.

Just Cooking

I do not disagree at all..

From Jeannies perspective, she wanted/wants dishes cleaned and dried by hand..

An additional incentive for her was teaching her children..
Her first daughter was born sightless and many life lessons came from her second daughter and son working with their older sister on basic household skills..

With just we two now, there is no need for a dishwasher, in our view.. :)

Ross

Good morning,

Yes, as I stated, I agree or I would have one. My grandsons ( both five ) help their moms wash the dishes. So, I am in agreement .. With just the two of us too, there is no need for a dishwasher and in Spain, electricity is very costly. Gas is very reasonably priced ..

Have a lovely day.

That was a nice video, Charlie. I sent it on to Himself, since he's become interested in wood crafting. He's worked up to building small, simple pieces of furniture, but his first project after he stopped working was a coffee measuring spoon for me. He used cut oak from our back yard and worked it down by machine and hand until he was happy enough. It wasn't as easy to work with as in the video though, since the log was from our pile of firewood! :LOL: The bowl of the spoon measures out a perfect one tablespoon.

Attachments

• 20170720_224818.jpg
    20170720_224818.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 144
What a fascinating video Charlie, though I admit to cringing with the danger involving his body parts!! Ykies!
What a treasure you have there CG.......and what a beautiful spoon your darling made for you!

It is a treasure - just like Himself. :heart: Except for the days I want to strangle him. :LOL: He made it with a long handle for the few times we have ground beans on hand. I feel like a music conductor whenever I scoop grounds and dump them into the brewing basket.

I really enjoyed the video Charlie...thank you for posting it.

CG...that is a GORGEOUS spoon that Himself made! He's very talented...what a treasure. :heart:

I love woodworking creations and am amazed at those who have the talent for it. My son-in-law is an artist and one of his passions is wood carving. He designs wood plaques based on firefighter and police badges, and has made quite a nice little lucrative side business from it.

As far as my wooden utensils...I have no idea what they are made of, but they need replacing. :LOL: Will be looking at bamboo and/or olive wood. :)

Last edited:
My grandparents had a dishwasher but they never used it. They would put scalding hot water in both sides of the sink (soap in one side) and that's how you did dishes, you did not waste. They were so cute together. On holidays we would ask to use the dishwasher and it was granted not very often but hey... they had dishwashers... me and my aunts and cousins!

Our kitchen had a dishwasher in the mid sixties, or as far back as I can remember. It was not built in. It was on wheels, and stored in a corner. You hooked it up to the kitchen sink faucet, and plugged it in to use it.

I use my dishwasher for almost everything. I hate washing dishes.

CD

Our kitchen had a dishwasher in the mid sixties, or as far back as I can remember. It was not built in. It was on wheels, and stored in a corner. You hooked it up to the kitchen sink faucet, and plugged it in to use it.

CD

I had one of those dishwashers. It was a Kenmore. My kids gave it to me for my 50th birthday. Thirty eight years ago. I told my daughter one day I had two wishes. The first one was an upstairs and downstairs maid. The second one was a dishwasher. Well, since I lived in an apartment and didn't have an upstairs or downstairs, that ruled out that wish. So it left only the dishwasher. I used that until I ran it into the ground.

Today, I have very few dishes to wash. And Pirate does most of what there is. I put the dry ones away.

CD

When my mom and step father bought their first home in 1952, it was the typical cracker box house with few amenities.. The first addition to the tiny kitchen was a dish washer on wheels.. We were high rollers, literally.. ;)
The damn thing was always in the way but, mom loved her new fangled dish washer.. :ohmy:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom