"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Pressure Cooker - Quality

I'm in the market for a new pressure cooker. I've narrowed it down to these:

Amazon.com: Fagor Duo Combi 5-Piece Pressure Cooker Set: Kitchen & Dining

Amazon.com: Kuhn Rikon 6-Piece Duromatic Duo Pressure Cooker Set: Kitchen & Dining

Both are in my price range, both have two pans, one smaller one larger and they are both Stainless Steel.

Opinions please.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Isn't pressure frying supposed to be how KFC and others get their chicken to have that great coating texture? I've seen that method used on shows, also. That alone would sway me towards the KR, even at the higher price. A whole new method to cook with!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I have the Kuhn Rikon set and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I love the small and large vessels equally. As for Kuhn Rikon pressure cooking, I have nothing but good things to say. I've worn out two other pressure cookers in my cooking career and would've purchased another like my last one (made by Revere), but they no longer make pressure cookers. Boo, hiss! I loooooooved my old one, but I love the Kuhn Rikon one just as well.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:30 PM   #4
Master Chef

Site Administrator

We got the 10QT Fagor Futuro and so far it has been useful. It does do canning as well.

I don't know how it compares to other ones as this is our first (modern) foray into pressure cooking.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:34 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I would like advice on a SS electric pressure cooker (interior pan SS) for my mom. She has dementia but still lives in the home. She uses a Presto pressure cooker but lately has been forgetting that she has s/thing in it. She should be in a home but my dad isn't willing to go there and insists that she continue to cook. For some reason (I think it is because her mom used a pressure cooker), she remembers how to do things in a pressure cooker (as long as my dad doesn't take her into town after she's started whatever she's making). I am going to take care of my mom in April and would like to buy a SS electric pressure cooker while I am there. Where they live there is a Target, Home Depot, Walmart, K-Mart, and Ace Hardware. I live in Canada so I don't know the brands. I would like something that shuts off automatically and is reliable and doesn't have a lot of complexity re: programming. I don't know what is available. I've searched on line but it is hard to know what is what. Help? Thanks. For those other Forum members who have a parent with dementia and live far away (my bro and I are 1400 miles away), I feel for you.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Isn't pressure frying supposed to be how KFC and others get their chicken to have that great coating texture? I've seen that method used on shows, also. That alone would sway me towards the KR, even at the higher price. A whole new method to cook with!
I wouldn't even consider pressure frying...scary thought! Just cooking (usually braising) with pressure.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Bummer. I'd get the Fagor then.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I have the Kuhn Rikon set and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. I love the small and large vessels equally. As for Kuhn Rikon pressure cooking, I have nothing but good things to say. I've worn out two other pressure cookers in my cooking career and would've purchased another like my last one (made by Revere), but they no longer make pressure cookers. Boo, hiss! I loooooooved my old one, but I love the Kuhn Rikon one just as well.

Thank you, Katie! I like the quality of Kuhn Rikon knives and gadgets. Have heard good things about the pressure cookers. I know of someone using a 60 year old KK and has only had to replace the gasket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
We got the 10QT Fagor Futuro and so far it has been useful. It does do canning as well.

I don't know how it compares to other ones as this is our first (modern) foray into pressure cooking.
Thanks, Frank! I was hoping you were finding the Fagor useful. That and KK were the one's I had read were stainless steel.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Master Chef

Site Administrator

As I understand it you won't be using your PC for pressure frying. Something about hot oil, melting the gasket and exploding.

You need a device designed to do pressure frying.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
As I understand it you won't be using your PC for pressure frying. Something about hot oil, melting the gasket and exploding.

You need a device designed to do pressure frying.
Not even considering it...besides, fried foods are not on the menu anymore.