"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 02-22-2008, 09:58 AM   #11
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to meshoo96
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That was Corningware and it was directly from the freezer to the oven. Pyrex type clear glassware cannt be treataed that way.
Please tell me when this changed? Because in college, I used Pyrex for cooling and heating and that's y we used it. Even now, the Pyrex I've had for a few years i put right from the freezer to the oven with a problem. I just make sure it is true Pyrex brand, not just some glassware.

No beans unless they are green or jelly...
meshoo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #12
Master Chef
I have taken frozen Pyrex and put it in the oven. I tend to put it in and then turn on the oven so the preheating helps to warm the pan slowly and I'm not putting a really cold pan into a really hot oven. I adjust cooking times to allow for the preheat. Never had a problem doing this. Only time I use a cookie sheet with glass bakeware is to catch overflow of casseroles. Cakes and brownies don't get sheets at all.

I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #13
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Cookie~ View Post
When using glassware for baking, do you need to put a cookie sheet underneath the glassware? If so, why?

Or can you just put the glassware in the oven by itself?
I only have Pyrex , and I know I cannot put it directly in the hot oven from freezer. What I have done , however, was put the cold dish in the oven, then turn on the oven to heat the dish , albeit slowly but at least it doesn't shatter.
LadyCook61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #14
Sous Chef
Hi been lurking around but couldn't help chime in here as the topic touches on a mild obsession I have with retro cookware and lost technology

Re: Corningware and Pyrex.

Pyrex and Corningware were both amazing products in thier versatility and durability.

There is a reason that these could be found in almost any American kitchen. They may not have been the finest tuned chef's equipment but they were incredibly useful.

they can go in freezer oven and microwave and Corningware can go on the stovetop as well (although extreem temp changes can cause breakage in any glass.

I trust no other glass bakeware (ok some Ancho Hocking)

but beware the NEW cookware carrying the namesake Pyrex and Corningware are not the same product. The new Corningware is simple stoneware and the "Pyrex" is simple soda lime glass (see wikipedia) these products are Asian made and have NOTHING to do with the original scientifically advanced glassware made by the Owens Corning Corp.

I started collecting this stuff on accident due to simple need and thrift store budget. (I lost all my fancy kitchen stuff along with my X) The combination of function and nostolgia won me over completely. It is sad that a quality product has been lost to marketing and is no longer made at all.

For a couple bucks at a thift store or flea market you can by cookware that it simply not made anymore.

Sort of like properly ground cast iron pans....

Hello and I introduce myself with a rant
PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #15
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
Cookie sheet under glass bakeware is for boilovers. Cookie sheet under silicone bakeware is for stability. Cookie sheet under those cardboard containers that frozen foods companies use for things like salisbuy steaks and lasagna is for both!

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote