"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question re Baking with Glassware

When using glassware for baking, do you need to put a cookie sheet underneath the glassware? If so, why?

Or can you just put the glassware in the oven by itself?

Old 02-10-2008, 12:52 AM   #2
Master Chef

Depends on what you are cooking in it, but most times (as far as I know) you put things on a cookie sheet to catch any overspill. Keeps it off the oven in case it bubbles over.
I know there are plenty of casseroles I have baked in glassware with no cookie sheet under it, but that is because there was still plenty of room in the dish and no chance of bubble over.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I really appreciate your input. Thank you so much.
This may seem really dumb, but I wondered if there was a possibility that the glass would break due to the heat
Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Your oven isn't hot enough to break an oven-safe glass dish.

Now adding cold water to that really hot glass, that would cause problems ;) but I know you aren't doing that.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

More of an issue with glass bakeware is sharp changes in temperature. Avoid rapid changes in temperature as they can cause the glass to break or even shatter.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Master Chef

At one point in time they did advertise a type of glassware that could go straight from the oven to the freezer without breaking. I forget who made it, and haven't seen it around in a long time, but I remember thinking 'what am I cooking that I need to immediately freeze it the second it is done???'.
I just couldn't imagine a legitimate usage for it...
Old 02-11-2008, 08:18 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

glass pans

since i do a lot of cooking using the micro, i have a lot of glass pans. i have corning ware and various types of others. they go in oven very safely an only time did one break. was baking duck. when i opened the door , the pan shattered. felt was cool air rushing into oven. the duck fat was very very hot.

babe
Old 02-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
At one point in time they did advertise a type of glassware that could go straight from the oven to the freezer without breaking. I forget who made it, and haven't seen it around in a long time, but I remember thinking 'what am I cooking that I need to immediately freeze it the second it is done???'.
I just couldn't imagine a legitimate usage for it...

That was Corningware and it was directly from the freezer to the oven. Pyrex type clear glassware cannt be treataed that way.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That was Corningware and it was directly from the freezer to the oven. Pyrex type clear glassware cannt be treataed that way.
Nice memory! I think I have mostly Pyrex anyway... But going from freezer to oven with leftovers then yea I guess I can see why someone might do that. Still, my leftovers stay in the baking dish and go straight into the fridge until used the next day or couple of days.
With a family of five nothing I bake lasts long enough to need to be frozen until next usage, LOL.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Use Separate Shelf

I wouldn't put that cookie sheet right under the glass dish, I would put it on a separate rack. Metal and glass expand and contract at different rates & you don't want to pay the price.

And, at the risk of looking really foolish to everyone here, I've added liquid to the glass dish in the oven - once. It was quite humiliating to pull the thick glass pieces out of the oven door and off the floor and out of the oven. Really put a damper on the meal and the subsequent gathering for me at that time. I was still pulling glass pieces out of that oven 2 years afterwards from that dish.