"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-17-2004, 10:09 PM   #11
Master Chef

Ditto what Scott said.

Unglazed tile isn't nearly as likely to be toxic as glazed tile (the glaze is what can contain high levels of lead). But, tile is more brittle and thus more pron to chipping and breaking than firebrick or a pizza stone. Firebrick and pizza stones are made of essentially the same materials.

You can get a pizza stone for about $15 ... it's thinner than the brick, get's just as hot, and takes a lot less time to come up to temp.

Old 11-16-2004, 07:19 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I hate to bump an old thread but I have a question. The only fire bricks around my area are 8x4x2. Would misalignment be a problem when baking? Will the crevices interfere with pizza cooking and removal?
Thanks.

Old 11-16-2004, 08:15 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by siniquezu
I hate to bump an old thread but I have a question. The only fire bricks around my area are 8x4x2. Would misalignment be a problem when baking? Will the crevices interfere with pizza cooking and removal?
Thanks.
It doesn't matter what size the bricks are, 9x5 or 8x5 or any variation around that - the thing that is going to make a difference in the end is the total mass (sum of length x width x thickness). The greater the mass the longer it will take to come to a stable temperature. Fire brick, kiln brick, pizza stones are all made of basically the same material. They are all made from a composite clay that can stand high empts without cracking due to the thermodynamics of the materials and get just formed into different shapes and sizes.

If you really want to line your oven with bricks, the small space between the bricks shouldn't really matter.

Some people get all crazy over this "brick oven" thing ... which you're really not going to reproduce in a home oven - because that's not really how a brick oven works. And, home ovens can't generate the heat (about 900-F). The brick ovens take about 24-36 hours to come up to temp - that's why even on their day off they (bakers) keep the ovens fired up.

Do yourself a favor if you're going to use it in an oven - go to WalMart or someplace similar and get a 1/2-inch thick pizza stone for about $15. It heats up in about 1/2 hour and I've made French bread that comes mighty close to what a bakery down the street using a gas fired brick oven produces.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:14 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Some people get all crazy over this "brick oven" thing ... which you're really not going to reproduce in a home oven - because that's not really how a brick oven works. And, home ovens can't generate the heat (about 900-F). The brick ovens take about 24-36 hours to come up to temp - that's why even on their day off they (bakers) keep the ovens fired up.
I agree, a brick oven can't be duplicated in a home oven, but a Vulcan style pizzeria oven can. That's where you need the thermal mass. And yes, it takes a long time for 2" brick to preheat (1 hr.+) but if you're a pizza fanatic like myself, it's an hour well spent.

For bread, definitely walmart. For authentic pizzeria style pizza, then go with thick firebrick.

Siniquezu, if pizza is your thing, open up your yellow pages to 'brick' and then start calling places. Someone will have half size bricks (about 1" thick rather than 2"). The 1" brick won't have the same thermal mass but at the same time, it'll be much less of a headache to set up. Most oven shelves have a hard time supporting 2" worth of brick. 1" should be no problem. As far as the cracks between the bricks, those should be no problem either. As long as the bricks don't move around when you deliver the pizza. I know 2" brick doesn't shift/slide. 1" shouldn't slide either.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:29 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to spaZDaisE04
really nice pizza stone

pampered chef has an awesome round stone. i use it like crazy to make my pizzas and when it comes out its very crispy and i love it. i totally recommend that or any other product by them :)
Old 11-23-2004, 08:02 AM   #16
Sous Chef

I recently posted similar question on this forum and got good advice - see http://discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=5319

My original post had links to 2 sources if you decide against the DIY route
Old 11-26-2004, 12:19 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to dcrockett46
I received a pizza stone for a present and was wanting to know if i could us it as a hot cooking stone like a Rackette stone but without having to buy the grill. Can you heat it up in the oven enough to cook fook at the table? Also what other suggestions does anyone have to use as a cheap replacement for a raclette hot stone? I went to a Melting Pot restruant and had a wonderful meal on their hot stone they brought to the table. thanks