Recently purchased baualu some scratches need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bananafeller

Assistant Cook
hi i'm fairly new to cooking but when i get into something i realy try and learn everything there is to learn so i've read countless reviews on buying cookware and taking care of it on materials and everything. and i had decided on a set of ss calphalon cookware until i found these BAUMALU pots at homesense (canadian store similar to TJM) all 7 pots set me back about 180$ Canadian which think was a really good deal so i picked them up right away upon further inspection i found sevreal problems and i'm wondering how serious they are.

1- The two smaller saucepans are 1mm think instead of 2mm
2- several ppots have stratchs in the tin
3- the large saucepan has a gouge in the outside copper
4- all the pots seam to have sharp edges.

Btw the copper bowl was inherited from my grandfather a chocolatier and pastry chef.

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpg
    IMG_0608.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_0610.jpg
    IMG_0610.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0618.jpg
    IMG_0618.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0619.jpg
    IMG_0619.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 240
Kitchen items get rough handling at stores like TLMax, MArshalls etc. so the scratches and gouges etc don't surprise me. If you intent to cook with your pans they will get dinged and scratched the more you use them.

THe scratch on the lip is not going to affect the cooking properities or endanger copper issues. THe other scratch is thin and likewise will not cause problems.

Tin (the metal your pans are lined with) will darken with use, and if you use mild dish soap and a sponge or cloth to wash with, the metal will ast quite a while before it needs re-tinning (years)

Professional use copper is 2.5 to 3 mm thick. Home use is often 1mm to 1.6mm thick, and you will find that the pans respond to heat and cool very quickly. Sharp edges? you are buying from an old world manufacturer. Just watch your fingers.

Make sure they are not lacquered before you use them. Remove any lacquering.

If and when your pans need repair, do a search for retinning and you'll find several in the US and Canada.

thanks yeah one of the pots came laquered which i resolved promptly .
i found a place the "retins" in nickel in montreal (i live in montreal) . if i ever need to "retin" would it be wise to do it in nickel or find a place to do it tin?

Last edited:
Looke like a set that you will use. I have noticed a difference in thickness of Baulmalu cookware in the same store. It would seem that they have more than one line. I have seen some with rolled edges similar to the one you have, and others with straight edges. The dings and scratches in your cookware probably will not affect usefulness for a long time. 3 mm pots and pans hold heat better, but are much heavier, and small users have trouble using the heavier items. All mine are tin lined, and require tinning every several years. Not a big deal. I use metal whisks in mine, knowing that I may be slightly shortening the life, and they do not seem to scratch the surface. Just don't like plastic whisks. I never use metal turners or spoons. If the edges of your pans are too sharp, breaking the edges with fine sandpaper or similar with prevent cuts. I would not overdo it. 7 pans at $180 is $25 per pan. Saw Revere Ware for more than that for sauce pans at a local store. Sounds like a deal to me.

bananafeller,
These are my two cents, they probably add too little to previous postings.
Congratulations on your the new cookware. Looks really great in that rack, keep it there so you use it often.
As Robo410 indicated, most nicks and scratches are from handling. I am sure that TJM or homesense buy lots of seconds; but in good condition cookware, that sell at a discount price. The price you paid for the set is what a Mauviel frying pan costs in USA approx.
Relative to your questions:
1.- If you are planning to use the 1 mm pans daily, be prepare to care for them.
There is nothing wrong with them, but they will require retinning sooner than a thicker pan and they will be more susceptible to damage than the heavy ones. Watch out for the burner temperature when using them !
2.- The scratches in the edge or the outside should not affect performance.
The inner scratch doesn't seem to be significant and looks like it affects the bigger pan (the one to the right on the picture). If you are not going to use this pan often and fully loaded, I would not worry so much. I personally like to be in the safe side and would look for a replacement pan in another store.
3.- The gouge in the bigger pan should not be an issue, specially if it is on the side wall.
The hammered wall has higher mechanical strenght relative to a smooth wall.
4.- You can get rid of the sharp edges with sandpaper as suggested or run the dull side of a SS object like scissors at an angle, this will remove some of the sharp edges. Don't forget to clean the pan afterwards to get rid of the shavings.

Stainless Steel is nickel plated, Copper is retinned. Look for the appropiate shop to perform this work and ask them to check the gauge in the bigger pan.
I have some Baumalu pans and don't use metal utensils, I use wooden spoons and silicone coated whiskers. I have gas burners and rarely use high heat with cooper pans, they are very efficient.
To clean them, I just spread some table salt on a salad dish, drop lemon juice on a sponge, dip it on the salt and then rub it on the pan. After that, I wash and towel dry the pan promptly.
Again, congratulation on your new cookware.
Bonne cuisine!

Back
Top Bottom