"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-17-2007, 02:05 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E
Hey, Silver. I freeze the bits, too, which is a great way to make a larger bunch of stock. I have the same calphalon pot you have your eye on. Have had it for nearly 30 years. Will last a lifetime.

Before you purchase it, check out Amazon's "Friday Sales." You can almost steal some wonderful goodies.
Hey Katie, thanks for the tip re the pot and the freezing. Definitely good to know.

Also, it's funny, I just bought the "everyday pan" from the Friday sale a week or so ago for $22.99 and that stock pot was the same price when it was part of the sale as when it's not! I didn't buy it then, but I'm thinking about it and will probably just keep an eye out for the Friday sale prices to see if goes down at all.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:21 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver
Hey Katie, thanks for the tip re the pot and the freezing. Definitely good to know.

Also, it's funny, I just bought the "everyday pan" from the Friday sale a week or so ago for $22.99 and that stock pot was the same price when it was part of the sale as when it's not! I didn't buy it then, but I'm thinking about it and will probably just keep an eye out for the Friday sale prices to see if goes down at all.
Amazon has good sales on stockpots--and a heavy weight one will pay dividends. AND they are available for not a whole lot of money. The Friday Sale is just not as good or inclusive as it used to be. Look under Today's Deals AND the OUtlet--any day, not just Friday. Another good source is overstock.com.
Not to be picky, but I would not get the enamelware "canning" type of kettle--they are too light weight and if you ever want to brown some bones or such for making stock, they will burn--or at least not be real satisfactory.
The point of a stockpot is to have tall sides (always be sure it will fit on top of your stove if you have any unit over it) so that the liquids evaporate and condense back within the pot.