"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 10-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Make sure your stove is perfectly level or the butter/batter will run off the side.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Make sure your stove is perfectly level or the butter/batter will run off the side.
You'll also have to take care to use precisely the correct amount of batter and keep it at the precisely correct consistency. A tall order, at least for me! I make crepes a lot; my weapon of choice is a 12" Calphalon sautee pan. Granted, it would make a long spatula difficult to use, but I just flip 'em over like an omelet. If one sticks a bit I use a silicon spatula to get under the edge, then grab it with my fingers and lift it out.

I have seen pans with a very small lip, but few with one at all. My GF has one like that, but she got it for $2 at a yard sale- I don't even see a manufacturer stamp on it.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:55 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Update! So I decided to stimulate the economy and buy the $95 crepe pan. I also searched hither and yon for a spreader and a long, thin, flat spatula. After lots of blind alleys I _finally_ found this 15 3/4" spatula:

greatchefsequipment.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1336

It was hard to find because it doesn't have "crepe" in the title! But it is listed in the "crepe accessories" section.

I also found this crepe spreader:

culinarydirect.com/store/index.cfm/c24575/i46647

Note the picture in that link. I wanted the "-15" part, not the "-24" part. I have one of those other ones with the sharp bottom, and IMHO it's useless, except for scraping the batter off the pan. I wanted to find the round, dowel type, and that's the "-15" part. The price was right, too, at $5/apiece (though they're listing it at a higher price now), so I bought two, in case my kid breaks one.

So, imagine my surprise when my crepe pan shows up, and there's a spreader and a spatula in the box! The spreader is fine, but the spatula is about 8" long, which is silly considering the pan is 12 1/2" in diameter. So I'm glad I bought the longer spatula.

The pan works great! The first crepe stuck a little bit, but once it's broken in the crepes release pretty well. I feel just like a real creperie guy! Well, at least I can fantasize thus!

Heh. Imagine my further surprise when my order of "2" crepe spreaders shows up. The "X5" in the description actually means "package of 5", so the box contained 10 crepe spreaders! So now I have 11. :D

Anyway, if anyone else ends up buying a crepe pan and needs a spreader, you can have one for the price of postage :)
Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Grrr. The "20 posts before you can link" rule is tremendously annoying. </rant>
Old 11-20-2008, 11:09 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkan View Post
Grrr. The "20 posts before you can link" rule is tremendously annoying. </rant>
Do that two more times and you're a made man....
Old 11-21-2008, 02:05 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Yeah! Just two more! errrr . . . . one?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:06 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkan View Post
After lots of blind alleys I _finally_ found this 15 3/4" spatula:

greatchefsequipment.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1336
Good thing my Mom didn't know about those spatulas when I was a kid.