"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 07-22-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Stainless Steel cookware

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to the cooking world. My major is dietetics with a minor in culinary arts. Me and my fiancee recently purchased a 7-ply stainless cookware set. I've been trying them out for about a week. I have several questions to ask you pros:

1) I noticed that after making steak and some chicken breasts, there was an outline staining of the meats. It looked like water spots. I could not take it off w/normal soap and hot water. I had to use bar keepers friend to do the trick. But I don't want to do this everytime. Are these stains normal, am I preheating too high/long? Someone mentioned to me about seasoning while the meat is cooking, instead of seasoning before hand because the salt can stain the pan?

2) I noticed the bottom of the pans turned into a light brown color. Is this normal? I know bar keepers friend takes care of this. How often should I use this cleanser? 2x per month? 1x per week?

3) Are there any special types of sponges you all use? Brand names that are good? I know not to use harsh sponges like steel wool etc... Is there any difference between a $3 sponge vs. a .75cent sponge?

Thank you for any feedback!

Old 07-22-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I hate stainless steel......never use it.

Old 07-22-2005, 08:42 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
Ok, the shadow line you are seeing may well be from the salts. It is not a big deal, only cosmetic and as you discovered, BKF took it off. Season after the pan is up to temp, add your oil and then the meat and then season. The brown on the outside shoudl be cleaned off after each use because it will become a carbon black crust over time and be very difficult to take off.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:58 PM   #4
Master Chef

When you remove the meat from the pan - pour off any grease in the pan and deglaze with 1-2 cups of water if your not going to be making a pan gravy/sauce.

Stainless steel is a pretty hard metal - you can used Bar Keepers Friend as often as you need (like every time).

The difference between a 75-cent sponge and a $3 sponge is $2.25. I use a sponge that has ScotchBrite on one side and a plain sponge on the other.

If you notice brown stuff on the underside bottom of the pan ... when it's cool spray with Murphy's Oil Soap, scrub with the ScotchBrite pad ... rinse and scrub again with Bar Keepers Friend ... and then wash with Dishwashing liquid. Humm ... guess this would also work on the inside of the pan if it's a SS surface.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:10 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thank you for your replies. I didn't know that SS pans would be this much work! Again, thanx!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:34 PM   #6
Executive Chef

any good pan takes some work. deglazing will save some scrubbing, try it with wine or broth to make a sauce! Never use steel wool. scotch brite and bkf are great. If you put water in a hot pan, make it warm so as not to warp a pan (thermal shock)

7 ply? sounds like Viking or Dan Boulud...good stuff!
Old 07-22-2005, 10:49 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

As mentioned by the others, deglazing the hot pan with water will remove 99% of the stuff stuck to the bottom.

For oil stains around the sides of the pan, spray on Dawn Power Dissolver, it works very well.

If you want a perfect looking, perfectly clean pan every time, use BKF to polish the surface.

The 7-ply structure will prevent warping, you don't have to be concerned about thermal shock warping your.

Enjoy these pans and leave them to your children in the will.

You can't kill these pans.
Old 07-23-2005, 11:35 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Great Info Guys! Thanx a bunch for helping a newbie! I love my pans, I just wanted to get the proper care for them. Thank you
Old 07-23-2005, 12:03 PM   #9
Cook

[QUOTE=Robo410]any good pan takes some work. deglazing will save some scrubbing, try it with wine or broth to make a sauce! Never use steel wool. scotch brite and bkf are great. If you put water in a hot pan, make it warm so as not to warp a pan (thermal shock)

I've wondered about if using water from a tap into a hot pan was wise or not. Robo your the first person to address this, does it really matter that much as long as it's not cold water?
Old 07-23-2005, 08:49 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Guys, still kinda curious on the whole stain thing. I took some pictures so you all pros can give me some feedback. Is this normal after every cooking session? I mean, the pan is clean, it's just the stains. On here I cooked some ground turkey burgers. Look for yourself and give me some feedback, thanx!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stain1.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stain2.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	252  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stain3.JPG