Staub 2.25qt DO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
I've been wanting to try one of these for a while. Amazon seems to have the best prices. They are available in several colors, I picked out a black one with a brass knob. Heavy and well made. Impressive, refined workmanship. Lid fits snugly. The inside has a very thick enameled surface. Wooden or plastic utensils only.

40500-281.jpg

I've used it a couple of times so far. Potatoes au gratin and braised center cut pork chops. Performed very well both times. Easy to clean and no problems with sticking. Also performed well on the induction stove making a pan sauce for the chops.

When I took it out of the box it seemed smallish. It's about 10" at the lid and 5" deep. After using it a bit it now seems like the perfect size for 3-4 people. Not really big enough for a chilli, stew, or soup. Seems just right for sides.

2.5 is really small, though.

Too small for most things you need a DO for, IMO

Probably true, but a good size for lots of stuff that doesn't necessarily need a DO. I have one that size, as well as a couple of 5 litre DOs and the little one gets used a lot. When they are pretty, they are great for putting on the table and keeping the stuff in them hot/warm for longer than a serving plate/bowl.

That looks like a good size for the two of us. When I use my huge dutch oven I tend to make far too much food, even for freezing, as my freezer space is limited.

Might just need to get one of those. Thanks .40.

I've been thinking up uses for this. What would you add to the list?

• I would use this for:
    • Baked beans
    • Baked mac and cheese
    • Baked cheesy grits
    • Potatoes au gratin or fromage
    • Meatloaf
  • Any kind of braised meat dish made of smaller individual portions:
    • Boneless skinless chicken breasts
    • Boneless chops
    • Fish fillets

Last edited:
I use a 2 litre DO to make four servings of brown rice on the stove top. The cast iron works really well for brown rice.

I'm getting so I don't want leftovers. Perfect size is what I am looking for when it comes to new pots and pans. Otherwise, like Kayelle, I figure I have to fill a larger pan.

Back
Top Bottom