"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-04-2004, 11:23 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
-DEADLY SUSHI-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NW Chicago Burbs'
Posts: 6,070
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Teflon Flu

I just saw a report that if you heat a teflon pot/pan/ or other container above 500 degrees it releases toxic fumes. In fact it will kill birds when subjected to the fumes. Teflon is also called C-8 (C8). And most everyone has this in their blood stream when tested. This report was on the nightly news here in Chicago.
Are we making ourselves sick???
There are actually symptoms. http://www.medlogs.com/mt/mt-comment...?entry_id=1635 and http://www.legalnewswatch.com/news_204.html

Is this just a story blown out of proportion or is it really serious. Read the articles and tell us what ya think.

__________________

__________________
-DEADLY SUSHI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:28 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 18,698
i think xenon gas is released when non-stick cookware is overheated.

i have read about it for years in parrot-talk magazine. many saddened bird owners reported of the deaths of their birds from it. the only way around it is to keep them away from the kitchen when cooking, and to never heat a non-stick pan too much without something in it.
__________________

__________________
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.


Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:30 PM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i think xenon gas is released when non-stick cookware is overheated.

i have read about it for years in parrot-talk magazine. many saddened bird owners reported of the deaths of their birds from it. the only way around it is to keep them away from the kitchen when cooking, and to never heat a non-stick pan too much without something in it.
Especially a bird
__________________
wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:33 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
-DEADLY SUSHI-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NW Chicago Burbs'
Posts: 6,070
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Poor dancing chickens. LOL!
__________________
-DEADLY SUSHI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:37 PM   #5
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,018
Our reference books on our pet Cockatiel indicates she's at hazard from "burning teflon"...

Lifter
__________________
Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 11:37 PM   #6
Master Chef
 
Michael in FtW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 6,592
Teflon has evolved over the years into a coating that can stand higher temps than when it was first introduced. I think in the old days 350-F was pushing the upper limit (actually probably above it) but now somewhere around 500-F is probably nominal.

As for cooking with Teflon killing birds ... don't know ... but remember, coal miners used to take a canary down into the mines with them because they would croak in the presence of toxic fumes before the miners ever felt any ill effects.
__________________
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:04 AM   #7
Master Chef
 
SizzlininIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Indiana
Posts: 5,023
If memory serves me right isn't there something about the fumes from a new oven being turned on and them drifting into the air when the oven door is open?
__________________
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:25 AM   #8
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,018
How could that ever be more "deadly" than the fumes if I did this with my "Old" oven? And opened the door?

Lifter

(Chuckling!)
__________________
Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 01:15 AM   #9
Master Chef
 
SizzlininIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA,Indiana
Posts: 5,023
Curious I went on google and found this:

Generated PTFE Fumes: A Silent Killer of Birds In Our Care
Without warning or visible vapor in homes, zoos, and wildlife rehabilitation facilities
Informed Action Can Prevent Tragic Deaths
PTFE coatings are sold under the trade names
Teflon, Silverstone, Fluoron, Supra, Excalibar, Greblon, Xylon, and others
From Coal Mines to Kitchens
On Saturday, November 12, 2000, Ron, the owner of eight pet birds, started the self-cleaning oven cycle in preparation for Thanksgiving dinner. His windows were open, in compliance with the oven directions. Two hours later, his son noticed that one of the birds was having trouble standing (all birds were located in a separate room off the kitchen). Four of the birds died quickly in Ron's hands before anything could be done. Opening more windows saved the other birds.
Microscopic lung findings were consistent with the inhalation of toxic chemical fumes. No warnings about release of a toxic gas were found in the oven's directions, but the source of the fumes was the oven's nonstick coating based on PTFE. Confirmed by a necropsy examination, these four pet bird fatalities resulted from normal operation of the cleaning cycle of this PTFE-coated oven (Ramelmeier & Davidson).

With their sensitive respiratory systems, birds have been used to protect us by detecting poison gas since early in the industrial age - the legendary canaries in the coal mines (and in the trenches of World War I) - frequently with lethal outcomes for the birds themselves. Now it is our turn to protect them from a modern hazard.

Those who care for birds need to know about Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) poisoning - the most commonly reported inhalant toxicity in avians (LaBonde).
Fatalities in birds have occurred when PTFE fumes are emitted by self-cleaning ovens, coated cookware, coated baking sheets, newly developed coated light bulbs, coated heat lamps, etc. In protecting birds, we may be protecting ourselves as well. Although much less vulnerable, people also have been poisoned by PTFE fumes (Lee).
Source: members.aol.com/rccouncil/ourpage/rccalert.htm
__________________
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 02:00 AM   #10
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,018
This might not be germane but C F Forrester wrote of birds detecting shellfire in his "Hornblower" series, and there are any number of such references of "pet" birds giving warning of both aircraft and shellfire in WWII, long before the "threat" materialised...

I will trade an animal before a human, most days, but regret it badly...

lifter
__________________

__________________
Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.