"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 02-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Very old cast iron skillet - Manufacturer?

I have a 100 year or so old cast iron skillet. It has a 12 cast on the helper handle, but no other markings. Can anyone help me identify the manufacturer?

riedch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Head Chef
Probably an impossible task, without any sort of name or logo.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
The 12 may mean it's 12 inches in diameter...It may not. Without other markings my guess would be it would almost be impossible to identify the manufacturer with any degree of certainty....You may think about the history of the piece...that may offer some clues to follow up on....

Welcome to DC !!

Have Fun!
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:11 AM   #4
Master Chef
Are there any markings on the bottom?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
If the bottom of the skillet has a build up on it, it might be possible to remove it with a wire brush. We bought an old skillet from a yard sale that had a heavy build up on the bottom. There was apparently no mark on it.
After cleaning it up, we found it was made by Wagner Ware. Just a thought.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
Sous Chef
Can you post a pic? The most popular cast iron pan of that time was Griswold if that helps.
"There are many things in life that will catch your eye - but only a few things will catch your heart. Pursue those!"
Reanie525i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Senior Cook
I've restored a number of old skillets I find at flea markets and such. Get the Easy Off oven cleaner with lye, I only found it at a hardware store. Slather it on heavy, all surfaces, wearing goggles and rubber gloves, do it outside. Then stick it in a garbage bag, and tie it shut. let it soak for 3 or 4 days. Scrub it clean with soap and water with a brass brush used for whitewall tires. Put the pan in a hot oven right away, to dry it completely, or it will flash rust right away. The pan should be virgin gray iron, and you can season it. I'll pass on a foolproof initial seasoning technique if you'd like.

oldrustycars is offline   Reply With Quote