"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Wagner ware magnalite 4265-p Dutch Oven

While clearing a few things from my parents house I found the above old Dutch oven w/ lid in really good condition. I know it is pre 1960's. It appears to be made of an aluminum compound. Can I cook tomato products in this pan w/o staining and off flavors?
TIA for your help!

Old 02-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
Master Chef

If I remember right - Magnalite cookware is cast aluminum (same process as making cast iron, just made from aluminum). And, what you have is a roaster - not a dutch oven.

Being aluminum, yes it will stain if you cook tomato products in it. Will it give an "off flavor" - I don't know. But, you can minamize both by not storing food in it.

FWIW - I watched Justin WIlson cook gumbos and other Cajun and Creole dishes with tomatoes in Magnalite for years ...

Old 02-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Michael -thanks for your help - much appreciated!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I have Magnalite pieces that have been used since the 60's. I use it for a lot of my cooking with no problem. I never store food in my pots.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Cook anything in Magnalite but how to brighten it is a question I have

I, too, have Magnalite that I've had since the mid 60's. I cook everything in it. A little Bon Ami will help remove any stains but, frankly, I've never had anything (even tomato) stain this cookware. But I do wonder if the acidic tomato contributes towards the pitting in the interior of my Magnalite, something I have noticed in the last few years. Unfortunately, I've not only noticed that my Magnalite has pitted (interior) but it has also darkened (both surfaces)--probably, through misuse per cleaning. These things may just be a sign of old age (and I have plenty of that, too ).

I have a question, though, of those who have had Magnalite cookware for several years. Is there any way to brighten it up? I foolishly put mine into the dishwasher--in my ignorant youth --and it has turned quite dark. Scouring powder (although I won't use Comet or any harsh ones like that) does not brighten it up. Most of the good metal cleaners, like Brasso, are so caustic that I will not use them on cookware or anything that comes in contact with food. I would love to get my beloved Magnalite roasterette (yep, that's the name on the bottom) all brightened up.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I wonder if you could have it anodized by a local surface treatment company. That might reduce the reactivity.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbb View Post
While clearing a few things from my parents house I found the above old Dutch oven w/ lid in really good condition. I know it is pre 1960's. It appears to be made of an aluminum compound. Can I cook tomato products in this pan w/o staining and off flavors?
TIA for your help!
I have one of those that my parents got for a wedding present in 1946. It's made 100's of pot roasts and many gallons of vegetable soup (with tomatoes). It's a great pot...try it out!
Old 02-13-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Tomatoes will brighten the pan, not stain it.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:13 AM   #9
Head Chef

I stumbled on this thread while looking for more info on the Wagner Ware Magnalite 4265-P roaster that we received for a wedding gift in 1972. The company is now owned by American Culinary who continue to make the entire product line. For those interested, here's a link to the roaster in question, and from there you can find out more about how it's made.

Joe