"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

What is the advantage of a Pressure Cooker

I am thinking of getting a pressure cooker and ad it to my arsenal. I have never cooked with one but remember my mother using one several times when I was growing up for beans, turkey breast, and pot roasts. What are the advantages of using a pressure cooker? I use my crock pot for the fore mentioned items and let them cook all day. Just looking for some advice.

I have already read some stories on here about the exploding pigs feet. Are pressure cookers that dangerous? Is a canning PC the same as a everyday PC?

Thanks.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Modern pressure cookers are safe and easy to use. They generally cook foods in 1/3 of the stove top cooking time.

They are the polar opposite of the slow cooker, they are the fast cooker.

I don't know if there is a difference between a pressure canner and a pressure cooker.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
Master Chef

I don't have one now, but my mom wouldn't dream of not having a couple on hand. The exploding? I've heard tales, but not known it to happen. Certainly not with modern ones. If you follow instructions,make sure to cook the pot down appropriately, it shouldn't happen. And there are some things that shouldn't be pressure cooked, and believe your instructions when they say no. For two of us it doesn't seem worth it, but Mom uses hers most days.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I love my pressure cooker. I've had 3 in my cooking life of over 50 years. I've simply worn them out I used them so much.

Currently I have a Kuhn Rikon two-piece model that includes a small pot/vessel and a larger one. I really like the versatility these two sizes give me because it's just my husband and myself and I don't always want/need the larger pot. However, when I wish to cook a whole chicken or a large piece of meat, the large pot is what I reach for.

There really is no difference between a pressure cooker and a pressure canner, except that the canner is much larger so it can accommodate the canning jars for processing.

If it's just the two of you and you don't plan on doing any canning, then a regular pressure cooker is all you should need. Once you determine that, all that's left to do is to find out which one would suit you best.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Just as a note of interest, you can also buy pressure cookers that have as many as three pressure release safety features.

The usual pressure valve, an additional pressure valve in another area and a gasket that will blow out if needed. This is the type I own.

I imagine it's not impossible to blow one up like that, but I also figure that it's not probable.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

I have found one on the local craigslist posting here for a fagor 6qt for $25. Does that seem reasonable. Is a PC something that you should not buy used? It looks like new.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
You have to be careful when buying a used pressure cooker. One thing I would recommend is to determine if the brand and model you are considering is currently available. That is, are parts available for it should you need replacement gaskets, valves, etc.? That's one thing that caused me to have to buy a new one several years ago. My trusty old workhorse was discontinued by the manufacturer and I could no longer get a new gasket, which it needed, and there was a crack in the handle. So, no handle was available either.

I would hesitate buying a used one just on general principles.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldathampton View Post
I have found one on the local craigslist posting here for a fagor 6qt for $25. Does that seem reasonable. Is a PC something that you should not buy used? It looks like new.

Harold, Before you buy a used pressure cooker, Check online and make sure you can get a manual for it . Check the gasket and make sure it has no damage. Fagor is a great pressure cooker and $25.00 is a awesome price.I have several used cookers and some new ones also.I also love my electric one. But don't try using one if you don't have a manual. If I can help let me know.

Josie
Old 09-05-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quicker cooking.
Old 09-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #10
Senior Cook

HUGE fan of pressure cookers! I have a Fagor 8 qt. and love it. It cooks in 1/3 of the time, which reduces energy costs, and the food is delicious. Pork chops are a particular favorite. So juicy.

Get Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooking as a primer, and The Pressure Cooker Gourmet and anything by Lorna Sass.

The new ones are/were Euro made, and don't blow up. Very safe.

Go for it.