Pressure Canning - how to get started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, but you can easily can pintos and it takes no more than 20 minutes to drain a bit and mash while some chopped onion is sauteing in oil (or whatever. No judgment.) Add seasonings, mix together and serve.

I also put a rocker on my Pressure Canner to add to the gauge.
Thanks! And, at some point, I may do something like that. I do have a "Spicy Beans" recipe that keeps the pintos whole. For my "refrieds," I need to make them in a big batch and finish with mashing them...they are not really re-fried and they are fat-free. I love having just exactly the amount we use - 1 cup - ready to go.

The Pressure Canner will take a back seat just for the moment. I did order the book you suggested, so I'll read up and figure out just the perfect unit to purchase. In the meantime, I've order something completely different...got a coupon that I couldn't resist: Automated Dog Food processor. Boy, are those puppies in for a new treat!

The pressure canner that I had was purchased some time between 1984 and 1989. It didn't have a gauge, just a rocker. But, the rocker had a couple of weights that determined the pressure. One was for 5 lbs pressure and the other one was for 10 lbs and you could put them both on at once. I don't remember ever doing anything at other than 15 lbs pressure.

The pressure canner that I had was purchased some time between 1984 and 1989. It didn't have a gauge, just a rocker. But, the rocker had a couple of weights that determined the pressure. One was for 5 lbs pressure and the other one was for 10 lbs and you could put them both on at once. I don't remember ever doing anything at other than 15 lbs pressure.
I live at almost 1000 feet, so most of the time I'm supposed to pressure can at 11 lbs. I only have the 15 lb rocker, so that is what I use. I could go by the gauge but that is tedious and tiring to manage for 90 minutes each time, so I just rely on the rocker.

Cool @Kathleen two of our favorites are split pea soup and a vegetable soup (your choice soups at NCHFP) w/or w/o tomatoes. A peach salsa or pineapple salsa is great in pint jars to throw over steamed veggies and serve with rice. Makes meal time fast and easy.

I remember seeing a friend's jars of pressure canned stew. I was startled by the clear liquid. She explained that you thicken it when you open the jars. If you used a thickened gravy, it would be too thick to safely pressure can. The heat might not penetrate properly.

Since there is liquid (clear liquid) it moves the solid items around and transfers the heat (moving the liquid) throughout each item. That is why 'your choice soups' are made with 1/2 liquid and 1/2 solids, so the heat is easily transferred throughout the solids. The problem of heat transfer happens when the liquid is a thickened mass instead.

If I want to thicken it, it would have to be when I open it. However, I often serve beef stew with fried bread (corn pone) or cornbread, so it will likely just be reheated. I put potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and beef in my beef stew. Instead of tomatoes, I generally add a small bottle of V-8 and beef broth. Add pepper and done.

@blissful I would love your split pea soup recipe!

20230903_194627.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom