"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-19-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
Sous Chef

What is this??

I was reading a corn bread recipe, that needed a cast iron skillet, and that made me remember something..

I got this as a wedding gift and have no idea what it is! I think I remember trying to use it once... I put it on the burner ontop of the stove, and sprayed pam on it, and it started smoking real bad so I put it up, and havn't touched it since. Now it has a dark circle from where I sprayed the pam. This thing is really heavy, and i'm afraid might have a little rust on the back of it..

Can anyone tell me what this is, and how i'm suppose to use it??

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1716.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	3784  

Old 04-19-2008, 11:30 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
You have a square "grill" pan. From the looks of it, you need to season it to make it ready for use.

To do that, wipe it down well with vegetable shortening (Crisco) and put it on a rack in the oven, upside down, in a preheated 350F oven. "Bake" it for about 1 hour. Remove and allow to cool.

You may have to do the seasoning process a couple of times to build up a nice non-stick surface.

Once seasoned, you can use it for grilling meat, poultry, fish, etc.

Old 04-19-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Master Chef

Looks like a cast iron grill pan but it also looks shiny like aluminum? The ridges on the bottom make me think it is meant to 'grill' items on the cook top and has a pour spout on the side for the grease and fat.
But, I would wait to see what others say first. Do you know what it is made of? Is that what new cast iron looks like? (believe it or not all mine were had used and are black.. so I assume all cast iron is black). DW says yes that is what new cast iron looks like. If she is right, then it needs seasoning.
I bet all these questions are not helping LOL.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Hmm.. So do I just rub the inside part or the whole thing with Crisco? How will I know if it's "seasoned" enough to use?

Thanks alot!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
Master Chef

OK, so while I was typing and pondering, Katie answered it LOL.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Sous Chef

lol Maverick.... I don't know.

It's very heavy.. So maybe it is cast iron.

Like I said, I only used it once, and it started smoking and scared me, lol. Should I be worried about the rust at all? How did it get rust on it just sitting in a cabinet?...
Old 04-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Rub the whole thing inside and out with shortening. Yes, I know it sounds yucky, but you have to coat all the surfaces. The heat in th oven will cook some of the shortening onto the metal, which will seal it. That's why I said you might have to do the whole process more than once.

Like a cast-iron skillet, the more times you cook fatty foods in it, the better it gets.

Now, one thing I failed to mention is that don't wash the pan with caustic soap and water after you've used it. That will remove the seasoning you worked hard to achieve. If you must, sprinkle some salt into it, swish/scrub around and rinse out. Dry immediately.

The whole seasoning/cleaning process takes some practice, but it's well worth the effort.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #8
Master Chef

yea I'm gonna go with Katie and DW and agree it is cast iron. Just the inside needs seasoning (unless again there is something I am unaware of), and it smoked because the pam was burning on it. Cast iron rusts if left sitting around, so that doesn't surprise me either and wouldn't worry about it.
With my cast iron I scrub the outsides but am gentle on the inside so as not to ruin the 'seasoning' on it. Someone once told me not to use brillo pads on the outside even, so I use the sponges with the scrubber on one side. Seems to do the trick.

Now, lets see if Katie answered again while I was typing... LOL.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Rub the whole thing inside and out with shortening. Yes, I know it sounds yucky, but you have to coat all the surfaces. The heat in th oven will cook some of the shortening onto the metal, which will seal it. That's why I said you might have to do the whole process more than once.

Like a cast-iron skillet, the more times you cook fatty foods in it, the better it gets.

Now, one thing I failed to mention is that don't wash the pan with caustic soap and water after you've used it. That will remove the seasoning you worked hard to achieve. If you must, sprinkle some salt into it, swish/scrub around and rinse out. Dry immediately.

The whole seasoning/cleaning process takes some practice, but it's well worth the effort.

I should have followed my instinct and just shut up and waited for you to answer!! I guess it is a good thing DW takes care of my cast iron for me too!!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:42 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

If it got rusty just by sitting in the cabinet, it's most likely cast-iron. Unseasoned cast-iron will attract moisture like a magnet attracts iron filings. That's one of the reasons we should season it. The seasoning seals the metal and protects it from absorbing moisture, even from the air.