"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 02-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Which cookware to buy for stir frying?

So, I am looking to replace a nonstick pan, which I have introduced many small scratches into.

Doing some online research, I have decided to go with stainless steel because it should last me a lifetime and I do not want the health risks of nonstick. I also want to buy on Amazon, so that I can see the reviews.

What type of cookware should I get (pan, skillet, wok)? Currently, I own two stainless steel pots (one big, one small). Also, I primarily have been using my nonstick pan for Pad Thai, stir frying vegetables, and fried egg. Then again, I am still a 1-2 years cooking newbie, so I am sure there are many recipes to come in future (you guys would have a better sense of this ).
Also, it would be nice if it works in the oven and I want it to fit my electric stove, which has the largest burner being 7 inches in diameter.

Also, I am ready to spend good money, as I value quality and hope to have this last me for a lifetime!

PS: If you have any specific Amazon recommendations, please do post the link.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

I do not have an Amazon recommendation because they compete with me after I post products on their site. But I do have stainless steel recommendations. The best that I have found is a German product from Fissler with a close second being products from BergHoff - both leaders in Europe but not so well know in the US. If these are not to your liking, I can provide some recommendations for better know brands in the US.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I you are looking for a pan particularly suited for stir-fry, then you should consider a wok. The shape if perfect for stir-fry. High heat can be concentrated on the bottom but diffuses quickly up the curved sides. This very well suited for the quick heat cooking of meats and vegetables.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Most SS cookware is made from '18/10' SS. If you want to go 'all-in' buy a 'T304' SS wok. 'T304' SS is surgical steel and is as 'non-stick' as you can get in SS. Yes you will need to spend money but you get what you pay for right? The wok will need to be 'seasoned' once in a while but that's easy. Google up how/why to season SS pots/pans. Make sure you are buying 'T304' not 18/10. The price will tip you off.Fissler Original Pro Wok with Stainless Steel Lid 30 cm - £219.00 : Salamander Cookshop UK
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Okay, so it looks like a stainless steel wok is what I should get.

I was thinking $150 max when I meant spending good money :D, but let me think about it some more.

Will I need to season the wok regardless of whether it is T304 and 18/10?

Also, more thoughts from anybody is appreciated before I make this big investment!
Old 02-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofcooking View Post
Okay, so it looks like a stainless steel wok is what I should get.

I was thinking $150 max when I meant spending good money :D, but let me think about it some more.

Will I need to season the wok regardless of whether it is T304 and 18/10?

Also, more thoughts from anybody is appreciated before I make this big investment!
Many people who buy/have SS cookware assume b/c it's 'shiny' it ought to be somewhat non-stick. '18/10' is a combination of metals that even though look nice and shiny actually have zillions of microscopic craters on the surface. When the pan is heated the metal expands making these craters even bigger/deeper. That's were the food particles go. Seasoning with salt and oil fills up the craters so no food can get in. 'T304' ss surgical pans have much much smaller craters. I have two of them and when I season my '18/10' pots/pans about three times a year I do the 'T304' ones at the same time. I never use soap on them. Just warm water and a wipe out. Never any sticking problems. Buy a 'T304' wok and you will smile every time you use it. Guaranteed.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Here ya go, Art.
Thirty bucks and you won't need to worry about cleaning it like your SS pot thread, it will simply become "seasoned".
Amazon.com: Wok Shop's 16 in Carbon Steel Pow Wok (hand hammered) w/ Wood Handle: Kitchen & Dining
Old 02-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Carbon steel woks are where it's at.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Go to Cost Plus World Market. You can get a carbon steel (best material for a wok) for less than 15 bucks American that will serve you, your children, and your grandchildren successfully. Stainless steel is not a good material for a wok. A wok with a non-stick coating is also unacceptable.

You can get a cast iron wok at Amazon.com for a decent price, and I understand they work wonderfully, but I have never seen one in a brick and mortar store so I can't make any recommendations there.

So, in the words of Frankie Valli, "wok like a man", and as Rufus Thomas once said, "If you don't know how to do it, let me show you how to wok the dog."
Old 02-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I think the carbon steel wok for stir-frying is a good idea. I would also suggest getting a good SS saute pan for general cooking. I use my 3-quart Calphalon saute pan all the time for searing, roasting, sauteeing, making sauces, etc. You can even stir-fry in it, although some would not consider that "authentic." I don't care - it works and it's darn tasty and that's the point for me

Calphalon Contemporary Stainless 3-Quart Sauté Pan with Glass Lid

Tags
cookware