"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Yeah, but don't nurture it, either.
As a young woman, I would not have been "over the moon" with gratitude with used cookware. I well understand the generous gift NOW but for a young woman to understand the generous used cookware gift is just not reasonable. At that age, I would want new stuff too. Just sayin'.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #22
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
As a young woman, I would not have been "over the moon" with gratitude with used cookware. I well understand the generous gift NOW but for a young woman to understand the generous used cookware gift is just not reasonable. At that age, I would want new stuff too. Just sayin'.

Beggars can't be choosers. And if she is "Idolizing" RR, and likes the cookware, "because it's her favorite color", that perhaps she should just be left to her own in getting her cookware.

Cookware is/are tools, not fashion accessories.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
Beggars can't be choosers. And if she is "Idolizing" RR, and likes the cookware, "because it's her favorite color", that perhaps she should just be left to her own in getting her cookware.

Cookware is/are tools, not fashion accessories.
I agree. On the other hand, there are other points above Tatt.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #24
Head Chef

I'm just going to let niecy choose and buy her own stuff. I thought I was doing her a favor since she didn't have any cookware at all.

And no, niecy can't afford any of this stuff she wants. But I guess she is too proud and spoiled to accept gently used cookware --even if it is Le Creuset.

And I know that kids like shiny new stuff, but I thought she would appreciate 2nd hand diamonds rather than new cubic zirconias.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I agree. On the other hand, there are other points above Tatt.
What other points? Girl was extended an offer to help her out in going out on her own. Girl turned it down. End of story.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:37 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

I find it hard to believe that there are some of you who are in sympathy with niecey. I don't know how old this young lady is, but it is time for her to learn some of life's lessons. Starting with good manners. And how to accept a gift in a gracious and grateful manner. Someone needs to print out a price list of LC pots and pans and show it to her. Or even print out the reviews from Amazon and let her read them. I certainly wouldn't offer them to her again. I bet if you offered them to a mother of six kids, she would be so grateful. You know with all those kids, she will never be able to afford even one LC pan. If you find a charity that has a thrift store or a church that has a fair each year, they would love to be able to raise money with them for a meaningful cause. And they would show more gratitude than neicey.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #27
Head Chef

My cousin Jeff was very angry when he heard what happened. He was upset at her rudeness and at her inability to recognize the quality of the gift even if it was used.

Jeff then called dibs on the cookware and so he took them right away. Jeff had been wanting some for a long time and is a cooking enthusiast. Jeff and I are very close and I am happy that he appreciates the Le Creuset.

Jeff didn't care WHAT color they were!
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #28
Wine Guy

I'm not going to get preachy, but I'll tell you something from personal experience. I won one of those orange Rachel Ray pots a few years back. Last year I had to throw it out because the finish was so badly chipped.

On the other hand, my oldest Le Creuset is 30 years old and doesn't have a scratch.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
My cousin Jeff was very angry when he heard what happened. He was upset at her rudeness and at her inability to recognize the quality of the gift even if it was used.

Jeff then called dibs on the cookware and so he took them right away. Jeff had been wanting some for a long time and is a cooking enthusiast. Jeff and I are very close and I am happy that he appreciates the Le Creuset.

Jeff didn't care WHAT color they were!
I think you now have your answer. Do not offer her another present. Steve is right. The RR pots are nothing but junk. And you cannot put them in the oven. Bless Cousin Jeff. He is one smart feller.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:11 AM   #30
Master Chef

Over the years I have become amazed at how fussy people can be .... even when they don't have the money to back up their fussiness. I've known people who never want anything used and people who don't eat leftovers. Then they poor mouth whining about they can't afford this or that. Duh. For awhile it seemed to be a fad for young adults to on and on and on about how their standard of living was so much lower than their parents (at that point said generation was a decade or so younger than me, their parents a decade or two older than I was). It was such brainless stuff, because their parents weren't born rich and didn't have their own homes and restaurant food that they threw away when they were 20.