"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 10-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #41
Cook

Cold Brewed Coffee

Hey All,

I got the recipe from this forum to make cold brewed coffee, and it is the best coffee I've ever had. I put the grounds into my French Press, and let it steep overnite on the counter, then put it in the fridge, and it is ready to drink whenever we want it. I only have to use a fraction of the cream I do in my AM hot coffee because the coffee flavor really comes thru. So, THANK YOU for the recipe and idea, whoever posted it. Wow, a Starbuck's freak from way back actually learned something new about coffee. Go figure... Altho I still only use the SB coffees, mind you!!!

B.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I love coffee talk!!! My coffee is usually with cream and Equal in the morning. On occasion, I'll have a capuccino with caramel syrup over the frothed milk. Mmmm.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:10 PM   #43
Assistant Cook

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }I got a wuestions about coffee. Every time I make home made coffee I get coffee headaches. But whyn I buy from starbucks or dunkin donuts I dont get those headaches. Am I making my coffee wrong? I tried it with a french press and instant coffee with no success.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:31 AM   #44
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Jet, I've been on the same quest. The system is a cold brew one that produces a concentrate. You keep it in the fridge and then add a certain amount to hot water to make a cup of coffee. I bought a Coffee Toddy and it does work very well. Now I'm trying to find the right coffee.

Douwe Egberts makes several "flavors" of coffee that are available to consumers but so far, I haven't found the right one. I'm afraid it may be one that's made only for their proprietary concentrates and systems and may not be available to folks like us. (Burger King's new gourmet coffee, BK Joe, is a Douwe Egberts concentrate.) If you find a source for this stuff, please post it! I'll do the same.
BTW, welcome to DC! We're glad you're here!
The only kind I have found in stores is Douwe Egberts Senseo in Medium Roast and French Vanilla, and neither were even close.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:20 AM   #45
Executive Chef

When we were in Spain last month we made coffee every morning using an espresso pot (little silver thingie you put on the stove) The coffee came out soooo good! We ordered one for home.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:34 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty View Post
When we were in Spain last month we made coffee every morning using an espresso pot (little silver thingie you put on the stove) The coffee came out soooo good! We ordered one for home.
That's true, Redkitty. A Russian friend of mine always made me coffee using one of those little espresso pots, too, and it was wonderful. (Of course, he always added a shot of cognac to it so that may have helped.) I can't believe I never watched to see how he made it. Did you get directions with your pot? Any hints? You can buy them in any grocery store here and they are very inexpensive so maybe I'll pick one up, too.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_Toast View Post
.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }I got a wuestions about coffee. Every time I make home made coffee I get coffee headaches. But whyn I buy from starbucks or dunkin donuts I dont get those headaches. Am I making my coffee wrong? I tried it with a french press and instant coffee with no success.
I haven't a clue, Burnt Toast. Is there any chance you have a small gas leak in your kitchen?

BTW, welcome to DC! Glad you're here.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
The only kind I have found in stores is Douwe Egberts Senseo in Medium Roast and French Vanilla, and neither were even close.
If you do a search on Amazon.com or ebay or even google Douwe Egberts, you will find ground and whole bean coffee. So far, I've only found about 5 different roast and flavors available to consumers.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:32 PM   #49
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Falkon
Don't get me started on coffee.

I buy fresh fair trade whole bean coffee that has been roasted in state that week. I keep it in an air tight, opaque container. Every time I want coffee, I grind the beans fresh with a burr grinder and brew in a french press. I can't even drink the stuff at work.

I like mine with cream, and a tiny bit of sugar.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:23 AM   #50
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon View Post
Don't get me started on coffee.

I buy fresh fair trade whole bean coffee that has been roasted in state that week. I keep it in an air tight, opaque container. Every time I want coffee, I grind the beans fresh with a burr grinder and brew in a french press. I can't even drink the stuff at work.

I like mine with cream, and a tiny bit of sugar.
I want a grinder like that.

I buy a locally roasted coffee called Doma. It is so rich and delicious. I take it with lots of half and half (organic) and lots of unrefined sugar. Brewed in a french press of course.