The Coffee Thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
coffee...mmmmmmmmmmmmm...coffee. I do drink coffee. I currently am drinking a dry-processed Nayarit Rustico, from Mexico. Organic, shade-grown, fair trade. I buy the green beans in bulk, 5# at a time, from Sweet Maria's (online), and roast myself, small batch, in a FreshRoast +Eight. One batch light, city roast, and another, darker, full-city roast, then blend them. Good to grind the next day. Very chocolatey, very wiry. Grind fine in an old KA A-9 mill, and into a Revere Ware Drip-O-Lator with a paper filter. Use filtered water, slightly alkaline where I live, for a naturally sweet, low acid pot of coffee. I like hot coffee black, iced coffee white. What I don't drink in the morning goes into a smoothie in the afternoon with vanilla soymilk and Girardelli's sweet powdered cocoa, banana and ice. I use just the full-city roast for espresso, with steamed vanilla soymilk. For coffee out, it's the Coffee Connection in Meiner's Oaks. My favorite coffee really away from home has got to be the Joe they serve in Center Camp at Burning Man. I have yet to try Starbuck's or McDonald's. Ooh. When I came home from Viet Nam, I pulled a year at Schofield Barracks on Oahu. The mess system purchased locally as much as possible, so we had fresh Kona coffee in the mess hall 24-7. I also volunteer as overnight host in a seasonal warming shelter for the homeless, and serve Cafe Pajaro from Trader Joe's to our guests. Buy whole-bean, grind fresh and brew in a Bunn-O-Matic drip. They seem to like it, and I seem to like it, too.

Can someone please make my coffee this morning?
I don't feel like getting off my butt to go make it..... plus the coffee gringer wakes up the kids and it's so nice and peaceful right now!!!
Dark, bold, strong please.

Cold-brewed coffee concentrate

Just this week I heard a recipe for cold-brewed coffee concentrate.
  • 1 lb. coarsely-ground coffee
  • 11 cups water
Combine coffee and water in a large bowl. Cover and sit on the counter overnight. Strain out the coffee grounds and refrigerate for up to two weeks.

I tried it with 2oz coffee and 11oz water, and it seems quite promising.

Oh thanks, but I couldn't wait.
I've had a whole pot already. :)

Gadzooks, we live in Nayarit and enjoy absolutely the best coffee I've ever had here. We buy from a small coop that is near Compostela. To the best of my knowledge, they don't market outside Mexico, but certainly there must be others who do. It is very mellow, low acid, rich and flavorful. We pay 60 pesos for a half kilo (about $6) and there are only two little tiendas here in Bucerias that sell it. We are so spoiled now.

Jet, I have a friend back in the states who makes coffee this way, and frankly, I didn't care for it, but I'm not sure what kind of coffee she started with, and that makes all the difference, of course. It is convenient, and you can have your coffee cold or hot. I brew up several espresso shots, add sugar to make (almost) a syrup and use it for iced coffee (add milk) for a few days at a time. It loses some of its flavor after just a few days in the fridge.

Still no coffee for me! 14 days now! I will drink it again eventually but not for a while and probably not everyday like I have been.

Still no coffee for me! 14 days now! I will drink it again eventually but not for a while and probably not everyday like I have been.

I average one or two cups a day, two if I have one in the morning, one if I only have one at night.

Still, you didn't say why you were torturing yourself this way??

Well, Mav...yesterday I had a cup but decided it was a one day thing. No reason other than I think I can do without it. I don't like the idea of having a caffeine addiction. So if I have it every now and again I think thats much better for redkitty. :)

This morning I am enjoying my coffee in one of my new cups I purchased this past weekend at Simon Pearce. Tastes so much better now.

When I work on weekends I am lucky to have acess to an espresso machine and all sorts of goodies to add.... but usually I just make myself a strong Americano....
However nothing beats a mug (or 8) of plain ol French Roast in my own house on Monday morning!!!

I'm with Suziequzie on this. I make a pot in the morning (just about now) so it's ready when I have finished my morning ablutions. I use an old Revere Drip-O-Lator, which makes eight 5-1/2 oz. cups. Four mugs. It will disappear over the course of the day. Plus coffee "out". I roast twice a week, so it's always fresh.

Ick! Just tried the Folders Gourmet Java Bold and didn't care for it. Do the other flavors from this gourmet brand taste as bitter? I will stick to Starbucks Costa Rica Tarrazu for now.

I'm with Suziequzie on this. I make a pot in the morning (just about now) so it's ready when I have finished my morning ablutions. I use an old Revere Drip-O-Lator, which makes eight 5-1/2 oz. cups. Four mugs. It will disappear over the course of the day. Plus coffee "out". I roast twice a week, so it's always fresh.
I can't remember if I asked this before (maybe one of those senior moments) but what do you use to roast your beans and what technique? I want to start.

I have a FreshRoast 8+ that I found on CraigsList for $20, I think, and a recently scored Caffe Rosto, found in a thrift store for $4. Both are good, both are no longer made. They do small batches, which is good, because I like to blend roasts for a more complex flavor, and only roast 3 days ahead. I get raw beans generally from Sweet Maria's, online, and am partial to a Nayarit Rustico from Mexico. Fair trade, shade grown, organic and dry processed. Both roasters use fan-forced hot air, and both have automatic timers. And both can frequently be found for cheap on eBay, if you do not have access to good second-hand shops. Sweet Maria's is also a wealth of information on coffee, roasters and roasting. Home Coffee Roasting Supplies -Sweet Maria's

Last edited:
I do like my coffee

Purchase the whole bean 8'oclock (in the red bag) or on occasion Gevlia
Breakfast Blend. We grind in an old fashioned coffe grinder placed on our wall in the kitchen. DRINK MY COFFEE BLACK.

bethzaring, your coffee pot ceramic is very attractive. Going to check at Garage Sales...perhapse I will locate one.

I use chem x glass pot. Or a Braun Coffee Maker.

Remember: the coffee grounds are great for acid loving plants...work into the soil.

Back
Top Bottom