Will a blender work for this chai latte recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yup, that's the one and I love it too.

For the very rare baking I do, I just have a hand mixer and it works fine. Heck, our grandmothers used a spoon. Shocking I know. :ohmy: There again, I don't need an expensive KitchenAid stand mixer, nor do I want to store one.

:LOL: Kayelle, no KitchenAid stand mixer for me either! You and I have similar feelings about baking.

Thanks! This is very helpful. What do you use to mix batters for baking?

I either use my Kitchen Aid Hand or Stand Mixer, depending on how much baking I am doing. I would not use an immersion blender or a blender to mix cake batter.

Sometimes I even mix by hand...

My collection of appliances has been built over time and a couple different occupations. My husband was a professional baker and I, at one time, had my own catering business. I no longer use all of these appliances everyday, but I do dust them occasionally.

Last edited:
Yup Taxi, that's the one and I love it too.

For the very rare baking I do, I just have a hand mixer and it works fine. Heck, our grandmothers used a spoon. Shocking I know. :ohmy: There again, I don't need an expensive KitchenAid stand mixer, nor do I want to store one.

I have a hand mixer, so I guess that should work fine. I don't understand why most of the recipes on this blog (elanaspantry.com) call for a food processor. My grandmother used a spoon or electric mixer for all of her baking recipes.

That blogger is probably using what she learned on. If you always wrote with pencil, had never seen a pen and someone gave you one...how long before you got used to handling it. The pencil will always be your first love, even if the pen is better. Same with appliances, you use and re-use those you feel comfortable with.

That blogger is probably using what she learned on. If you always wrote with pencil, had never seen a pen and someone gave you one...how long before you got used to handling it. The pencil will always be your first love, even if the pen is better. Same with appliances, you use and re-use those you feel comfortable with.

That makes sense! Thanks for helping me save some bucks! I'm going to try one of her recipes with an electric mixer and see how it goes.

I'm always tempted with new appliances. But my little KA hand mixer has served me well with my maybe one or two batches of cakes or cookies a year. The immersion blender is the appliance I use the most, followed by the little FP and the blender. The FP doesn't deal as well as the blender with liquids.

I use a stand mixer about once a year to make sponge cake. The rest of the time I mix batters by hand. It's usually more work to clean up the danged gadget than it is to do it by hand. E.g., I have a salad spinner. I usually just dry the lettuce with a tea towel which I can throw in the washing machine, instead of having to wash the salad spinner which takes up my entire dish drainer. I did all the slicing for leek and potato soup with my new, fancy doodle food processor. Good grief, I had to cut stuff to fit in the food processor, process it, and then wash all those danged parts. The mandolin would have been quicker and less cleanup. If I didn't care if the slices were that even, I would do it with a knife. Talk about easy cleanup.

Not to mention that many bloggers make money by promoting equipment. I'm sure that's the case for the blogger with the recipe to be used in a $400.00 Vitamix blender.
Edit. Now I see it's the same blogger telling you to use an expensive food processor.
Personally, I wouldn't trust her recipe's either.

I use a stand mixer about once a year to make sponge cake. The rest of the time I mix batters by hand. It's usually more work to clean up the danged gadget than it is to do it by hand. E.g., I have a salad spinner. I usually just dry the lettuce with a tea towel which I can throw in the washing machine, instead of having to wash the salad spinner which takes up my entire dish drainer. I did all the slicing for leek and potato soup with my new, fancy doodle food processor. Good grief, I had to cut stuff to fit in the food processor, process it, and then wash all those danged parts. The mandolin would have been quicker and less cleanup. If I didn't care if the slices were that even, I would do it with a knife. Talk about easy cleanup.

Exactly right, Taxi.

Last edited:
Not to mention that many bloggers make money by promoting equipment. I'm sure that's the case for the blogger with the recipe to be used in a $400.00 Vitamix blender.

Exactly right, Taxi.

Oh wow, I hadn't thought of that!Maybe she's getting commissions through Amazon.

Bingo !!!!

Now I see it's the same blogger telling you to use an expensive food processor.

Last edited:
Bingo !!!!

Now I see it's the same blogger telling you to use an expensive food processor.

Now that I think of it, she wasn't very helpful when I asked her on her Facebook page whether anything could be substituted for the Vitamix. Hmm.

Now that I think of it, she wasn't very helpful when I asked her on her Facebook page whether anything could be substituted for the Vitamix. Hmm.

KG, I would just get an immersion blender! They're fun. I only have a basic one, but if you can get one with all the bells and whistles, I say go for it!

KG, I would just get an immersion blender! They're fun. I only have a basic one, but if you can get one with all the bells and whistles, I say go for it!

I've got my eyes on the KitchenAid 3-speed immersion blender. It was rated the highest by Cooks Illustrated and got good reviews on Amazon. It's $59 at Bed Bath, but I just got a 20% off coupon. I'd love to use it to make my own mayonnaise, which should be pretty simple, right?

I've got my eyes on the KitchenAid 3-speed immersion blender. It was rated the highest by Cooks Illustrated and got good reviews on Amazon. It's $59 at Bed Bath, but I just got a 20% off coupon. I'd love to use it to make my own mayonnaise, which should be pretty simple, right?

Perfect! You can make mayo in anything. I looked at mine, it has 9 speeds, but I've only ever used one. But it's got some age on it, and I don't know the current toys.

I would say get it, you won't be disappointed!

I use mine for making mayo and whipped cream. I have a large heavy glass similar to the ones that a bartender uses to mix shaker drinks in. The head of the blender fits into the base of the glass leaving very little room for the ingredients to escape the blade of the blender. Works great for small amounts of ingredients!

The biggest problem I have with the immersion blender is lifting it out of the liquid while the blade is still spinning, I'm a slow learner! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Mmmmm...Milk Shakes!!! I have this one in the red, this is NOT an endorsement to buy one, it's just one of my odd purchases of appliances. The immersion blender makes quicker milkshakes. Since I have NO counter space, all my appliances sit on shelves in the dining area.

Attachments

• milkshakes.jpg
    milkshakes.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 302
I also use my immersion blender to puree fruit for mousse. I put the fruit in a 2 quart measuring cup. Then I whip the cream for the mousse with it.

Hot water for tea is usually not boiling. I think they are more talking about boiling soups that are very hot and can create a lot of steam to blow the top off. You would have the same problem with any blender if using too hot liquids.

"Hot water for tea is usually not boiling". WHAT! :ermm: People have been shut up in the Tower of London for such profanity!

I'm sure we've had this discussion before. Boiling water for tea. Off the boil for coffee.

Back
Top Bottom