Bread Knife Mac vs Wusthof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potato Repairman

Assistant Cook
I have reached the point where almost all the bread we consume is now home made, and usually a hard crusty variety. This has led me to look for a new bread knife and I'm considering a Mac superior 10.5" or a Wusthof Classic 10" super slicer. Would either of these knives offer any improvement in performance over the 10" Forschner I now have? Is one better than the other, and why? Thanks in advance.

I second it for the Mac. I have a whole set of Mac knives and while I love them all, I wouldn't trade my bread knife for the world. It gives a clean cut no matter how thick or thin the slice or, as buzzard767 says, crusty it is. I haven't tried the Wusthof but I have tried the Forschner and find the Mac far superior in every aspect.

Compared to what? If you've never used the Mac you have no reference of comparison. :wacko:

I wouldn't be that harsh. I actually still use my mother's bread knife which is umpteen decades old for everyday cutting and save my Mac for work or "tough jobs". They are different and both great! :)

I recently bought a 9" (23cm) Wusthof Classic 4150 bread knife to replace my old cheapie Ginsu that I got free at the home show years ago. Don't use it for much but bagels and an occasional loaf of La Brea Bakery bread, but in my estimation it's a great knife, very sharp, looks great, easy to control. Not sure about how easy resharpening is as I haven't had to do that and doubt I will for a long time. The Wusthof bread knife comes in 8", 9", and 10" versions. I found this one on Ebay, new in box, for $46.65 with shipping.

I have reached the point where almost all the bread we consume is now home made, and usually a hard crusty variety. This has led me to look for a new bread knife and I'm considering a Mac superior 10.5" or a Wusthof Classic 10" super slicer. Would either of these knives offer any improvement in performance over the 10" Forschner I now have? Is one better than the other, and why? Thanks in advance.
Why not sharpen your Forschner?

Why not sharpen your Forschner?

If there's a good way to sharpen a Forschner I'm not aware of it. Some say you can use a round file to work each serration individually but that seems a pretty tedious, laborious process for a $20 knife. Most conventional sharpening methods don't work well on traditional serrations.

The Edgemaker Pro sharpeners I keep in my work roll are supposed to work okay on those type of serrations but I haven't ever tried it.

Do you find the Sharpmaker does a good job on serrated? I have a Sharpmaker, too, but I haven't tried it on any of those kind of serrations.

JustPlainBill,
I do sharpen the Forschner. I use a fine India round file working each gullet to the point like a saw, which gets it better than it was new, but I was hoping for improved performance from convex scallop design. I haven't used a knife of that design I may not actually get what I'm looking for, but figured either would do double duty as a slicer.

How are you guys sharpening your serrated knives?

Back
Top Bottom