"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
Senior Cook

I got by with ONE knife for decades - a Dexter-Russell Chinese cleaver.

Not for chopping carcasses apart, but great for everything else.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Inexpensive and very good

I don't know if you can order from WalMart where you are, but I bought a set of these knives from them and I can't find much fault with them at all. They are forged, well balanced, well-made and they take and hold an edge as good as much more expensive stainless steel blades I have. Paula Deen Cutlery 3-Piece Chef Kitchen Knife Set - Walmart.com

p.s. to knife aficionados- don't laugh until you've tried them. At $17 for the set they are a great deal, imo. Heck, at $200 for the set they would be a good deal.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Mark, if you read through the threads in the knife forum, you will see consistent advice to not buy a set. You can cover just about all your cutlery needs with an 8" to 10" chef's knife, a 4" paring knife and a bread knife. Use the money you would spend on a set to buy these three knives.
+1

Hardly any home cook needs more than these basic knives.

And with knives it's always better to buy quality rather than cheap.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
Head Chef

No such thing!!!!!! I would rather have one good knive then a whole set of cheep knives.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #15
Executive Chef

About as good as cheap gets-
Dexter Russell SSCC-7 - Sani-Safe Cutlery Set,7 Pieces: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining
Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 AM   #16
Master Chef

Who knows what is cheap in England. Where are our English men? They should be able to help.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlied View Post
who knows what is cheap in england. Where are our english men? They should be able to help.
60 = ~ $95(us).
Old 08-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
Sous Chef

OK, if you want a set and you want cheap but usable it can be found. I was cruising one of my regular thrift stores a while back, and came across a three knife set that had sold at Target for about $40 US. Designed by somebody named Michael Graves, if it matters, made in Taiwan, but good quality steel, nice blade design, very grippable rubber handles. Eight inch chef, heavy like German knives of ten years ago, very nice five inch utility/boner, and a very agile little three inch drop-point parer. Unused, in the package, for $10 US. They would have been worth the $40 from Target, but I never go there. I added a four dollar Schnittfix serrated bread knife with a detachable cutting guide for good, uniform, German slicing and use them when I cook at the homeless shelter. If somebody does something evil to one of them, I may catch my breath for a moment, but I won't cry over it.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Victoronix chef knife is around $28 in a restaurant supply store. MANY restaurants use them. I have one and it's great.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #20
Executive Chef

There is no such thing as a good cheap knife set. Either it's good, or it's cheap.

That said, the best quality knife set you will get for a reasonable price is a Sabatier set. Even if they were made in China, Sabatier is very concientious about their name so they are good quality knives. Just be sure you get forged blades, not stamped. Use your steel before each use, and get a sharpener or ask your local butcher if s/he will sharpen them for you every 4 to 6 months, depending on frequency of use. Most butchers are more than happy to sharpen the knives of good customers, either free fer nuthin or at a nominal price.

As a reference, HERE is a set of Sabatier Knives with French made BLADES (this doesn't neccessarily mean they weren't finished/assembled in China) in your price range and available at Amazon.UK

Tags
cheap, knife