"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
$40 for a fork? Ouch, I got mine from my mom, looks almost identical to yours and it was free lol!
America is expensive! That is about R360. I could buy a weeks worth of food with that.
I think I need to move!
You'd be hard pressed to purchase a week's worth of food around here on $40.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I bought myself a carving fork. I never had one before and just used a cheap SS kitchen fork like the second image.

I have a set of Henckels Pro S knives and the matching fork was more expensive than I thought was appropriate.

While wandering around Costco Saturday, I walked past the Gunter Wilhelm display/demo booth. It's been there forever and they demo and sell individual pieces. I have all the knives I need but have always wanted a carving fork with sold/heavy tines for moving roasts and serving slices.

GW had this carving fork in the first image on display for $39.95. I bought it and used it last night for a 7-8 pound roast chicken and it works great.

The Costco GW booth sells all their knives for $29.95-$39.95 each with the cleaver going for $49.95.
I use a fork like that in concert with a smaller stag handled curved carving fork to flip roasting turkeys from breast down to breast up.
I find that a fork with blunter tips can sometimes be preferable because it can help minimize damage to a cutting board.
Looks quite like the ~$70 Lamsonsharp 12" bayonet fork-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bayonet.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	17175  

Old 02-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I went to school when they didn't let you be left handed. Today I am grateful. I can carve with either hand. And you are right. Nothing is made for lefthanders. Try opening a can with a manual can opener. I still do it with my left hand.
I'm a lefty but I only write with my left hand and do everything else like a right handed person. I never even noticed till someone pointed it out to me a few years back

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I can walk in to any thrift shop and find these carving forks galore. Go to an antique store and you will find sets of knife and forks from estate sales. I once saw a sterling silver set that was priced well below what you pay in the jewelry store. It was even in the presentation case. There are ones with the stag horn handles galore out there almost for the taking.

I personally prefer to go to the Salvation Army Thrift Stores. They train handicap folks to repair and to be on the selling floor. I have two that are accessable to me. One up on Route One. That is a hugmongous store. And the one in Chelsea reflects the community. The merchandise is of lesser quality and cost less.