"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I have a set of the Calphalon Katana series for the house and have NEVER been disappointed.

They hold a great edge and hone very well. I loved them for the price and the asthetics.

Ceramics are the top of the line in state of the art cuttlery, but the price point is discuraging when buying a few pieces.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:26 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Calphalon is a brand name (originally of restaurant aluminum cookware) Their knives are steel. They have several grades.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #13
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
I have a set of the Calphalon Katana series for the house and have NEVER been disappointed.

They hold a great edge and hone very well. I loved them for the price and the asthetics.

Ceramics are the top of the line in state of the art cuttlery, but the price point is discuraging when buying a few pieces.
Those are beautiful knives, I've seen them in the store, but never handled them. However I have tried the newer Henkles with the same style tang, and the handle on them is a bit too heavy. they are off balance on the lighter blades. How are those as far as balance?
Old 02-19-2007, 11:41 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT

Those look quite similar to my Chroma Chef's knife. It is very well ballanced and is a joy to use. I use it daily. It takes care of 95% of my cutting chores. Here's a link so you can get an idea of what my knife looks like. It's the 10-inch chef's knife.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #15
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I love 'em. the balance is right on for me. They can be a little heavy on the smaller knives, but in the santuko, and vege knife, and even the chefs knife, I would put them against higher priced knives any day. I really can not say enough about them. For the house they are great, for the kitchen, I would get some, but I am too afraid of some of the "kids" nicking them up.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
i splurged about a year ago and picked up the katana series' chef's knife, and i LOVE it. i find the balance is lovely, especially considering i got the big 8" one, and it's held its edge razor-sharp for far longer than i'd expected. handle shape is of course a very personal choice, but i find this one fits my hand just great. hard to see in that pic above, but there's a thick area as the tang flares into the blade that makes it very comfortable to hold in a thumb-and-forefinger on the sides of the blade grip, just as well as the regular all fingers around the handle grip.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:42 PM   #17
Cook

Calphalon katana knives are pretty good for the price, they're made with Japanese vg steel in the core laminated between the Japanese equivalent of Crucible's 420a steel. Al Mar and Shun both make sandwich laminated knives with a core of vg-10 steel. Vg-10 is far superior for edge holding, toughness, corrosion resistance, resharpenability and, of course, stropability. Either are 30% more than a calphalon but the superior balde and handle materials make up for it. Also, Shun and Al Mar aren't made in China for those concerned with human rights.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
I just ordered this sushi set:

Overstock.com: Stainless Steel 3-knife Sushi Set with Carrying Case : Kitchen Supplies

and I'm working on getting a Santoku. I noticed a few places selling ceramic knives and Calphalon knives. Is there a huge difference in the two from the "normal", run-of-the-mill, knives?

What would the advantages be in getting either of the two?

The two smaller knives have the basic shape of a santoku but the blades are probably thicker than the blades of a traditional santoku.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:21 AM   #19
Senior Cook

There are some myths in this thread, namely that if you drop a ceramic knife, the odds are it will break.

I use ceramic knives almost exclusively. I have everything from a baseline run of the mill 70 dollar Kyocera santoku all the way up to a Damascus sashimi knife that literally cost more than a mortgage payment, 14 ceramic knives in all. My kitchen has marble floors and granite countertops. I've dropped all but a couple of them more than once, and don't have them shatter or chip. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

The only metal knives I keep in my house are technically sushi blades (Mac brand, Japanese style knives), and I only use them under 2 circumstances:

1) All my ceramic knives for a job are dirty (i.e. my pare knife is in the dishwasher and I've got something delicate to cut) or
2) I'm cutting through bone

Both are pretty rare events. Best type of knives available.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #20
Head Chef

You put your fancy knives in the dishwasher? lol