"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-13-2010, 03:01 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Holy Hattori Batman! Just by looking and reading, I'm really interested in the Hattori HD series* and the Kanetsune (especially the latter given the reviews). Yeah, looks have a bit to do with it, and I'll have to handle them before deciding to keep them. But I think it's down to those two. Thank you very much for that detailed response.

*As I pointed out in my first post, my budget for a knife is closer to $150, as I can get the Shun Elite for around there.

The Hattori HD, would you offer the same raving reviews as you did the FH? I am liking it enough online to buy/try it out. Thinking the 180mm or the 210mm.

Bigjim, can you tell me a bit more about your Kanetsune? And do you know where I can look to find it half off retail?

Thanks again.

edit: since it is my duty to supply cutlery for my dorm, I just won a small set of Forschners (recommended by a user through PM) on ebay that the roommates can use. I also volunteer in a shelter kitchen so they will prove extremely useful there. Very excited to get all my equipment. But the difference is this time around, it'll last for years. :D

Old 08-13-2010, 05:23 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

i have a mac, shun, global, and messermister.. all of which are great knives.. i have the shun wasabi chefs knife.. got it for 35 bucks.. it holds an edge great.. the mac-mac daddy is about 150 i think that also holds the edge amazing.. my global is a santuko i love that for on the line because it is small and light.. i sharpen that and the messermister (8 inch chefs) more often than the other 2.. the messermister is what i call a bash and chop.. i use it for cutting veg and going through bones if i need somehting bigger than my boning knive (which is a wooden handel forschner offset) love that knive too..
my paring and tourne knives are both messermister and they do just fine for what you need them for..
the most imporant thing is to know how to sharpen your knife.. there is manny different stones.. i use a 12 inch oil tri-stone and use the Japanese style of sharpening.. as apposed to the standard follow the blade in half moon style..

i hope i helped.. you can PM me if you have any other questions..

Old 08-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGreyhounds View Post

The Hattori HD, would you offer the same raving reviews as you did the FH? I am liking it enough online to buy/try it out. Thinking the 180mm or the 210mm.
Well, no- I don't like the HD quite as much. But they are excellent knives. The handles of the HD are a bit pedestrian, pretty much the same as you'd find on a Hiromoto, Misono, etc etc. Not the sculpted linen micarta of the FH (sometimes called a KF to denote that it was designed in collaboration with KnifeForums.com). The FH is monosteel (meaning not clad, it's solid VG-10) where the HD is the more popular laminated, suminigashi type that's become so popular. Being clad it's also a tad thicker. But don't let it discourage you! The HD is a very nice knife, deserving of its wide acclaim among pros and foodies.

Quote:
Bigjim, can you tell me a bit more about your Kanetsune? And do you know where I can look to find it half off retail?

Thanks again.
Alas, you're probably out of luck there. Smokey Mountain Knife Works had an incredible blowout on them a year or two back, and they quickly sold out. I don't recall where Bigjim got his but that particular line is very hard to find now, and when you do find them they're always near retail. If you do run across a deal like he got, post a link. But get your own set ordered first, just in case! We'll understand!

Quote:
edit: since it is my duty to supply cutlery for my dorm, I just won a small set of Forschners (recommended by a user through PM) on ebay that the roommates can use. I also volunteer in a shelter kitchen so they will prove extremely useful there. Very excited to get all my equipment. But the difference is this time around, it'll last for years. :D
Very commendable of you! A good deed is it's own reward.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
Head Chef

Rob is right about Kanetsune, a quick Google found few vendors of the 100 series, the ones I have. I believe that the 200 series may be the same knife with blue handles. SMKW had these on sale at something under $300 for the 5 knives. I ended up with all 5. They are somewhere between Western and Japanese in style, and are ground 50-50, important if you are left handed. I am.
Rob put me on to the deal and then sharpened them for me. I am an inexperienced sharpener and wanted to know what a sharp knife was as a benchmark. I would recommend this if you don't know what a sharp knife is.

The Forschners are a good option on a limited budget. They are now Victorinox in the consumer version. I have quite a few that are 50 years old and still in use. For use in a dorm setting, they are hard to beat. I use the Edgemaker Pro to sharpen them.

It does pay to shop around. If you are not married to a particular knife instead of a type, and are willing to wait, things have a way of working out.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:24 AM   #15
Head Chef

The irony is that I only snagged one of 'em while they were on sale, and my GF nabbed that one!
Old 08-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:

*As I pointed out in my first post, my budget for a knife is closer to $150, as I can get the Shun Elite for around there.

Ooops! In my enthusiasm I missed that part. I was thinking retail on the Elite. For $150 the Shun sounds a little better, and I don't recall ever seeing one that cheap. Ultimately I wouldn't want one just because I've gotten very used to the gyuto shape with less belly, and going back would require a change in technique. Plus, it's just fun to play with new toys!

I suspect you'd be pretty pleased with the Kanetsunes. The ones I liked have a really interesting finish, a bit neater than the faux Damascus that's so in vogue now. They're really well made knives, and a steel at the price. That's a pretty solid vendor, too. You certainly wouldn't regret the Hattori HD, either. It's a really nice knife, and it looks waaaay better in person than in the pictures; photos rarely capture the subtly of the suminigashi pattern. The HD has several times more "layers" than any of the Shuns, and the appearance is beautiful.

If you're looking for a knife to dazzle your friends, you may want to skip the Tojiro. The DP is like that plain girl with the kooky glasses that always wears sweats. She doesn't have guys orbiting her at the bar. But once you start chatting with her, you find she's backpacked thru Tibet, speaks three languages, can quote every line of every Monte Python skit and has every record that XTC ever made- you know, a keeper! The kind that grows on you.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:09 AM   #17
Head Chef

One more thing- I don't want to damn the Hattori HD with faint praise! It's a fine knife. Fit and finish is really top shelf, better than most knives in the price range. The more "exotic" and off the beaten path you get with Japanese makers, the more erratic the fit and finish is. The companies that market heavily to the West understand that aethetics and a polished, professional look is important to consumers spending a lot (or what they consider a lot, anyways) on knives. So they take care to finish the knife beautifully. Knives that will sold to pro's, well- we mostly just want it to scare the hair off your arm!

So yeah, the blade is great, the heat treating is good (ie, not easily chipped, at least all the ones made in the last couple years), the handles (while pedestrian in shape) are a bit nicer material and sanded well. The HD is a great knife, definitely a match for most $200 gyutos.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:59 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
If you're looking for a knife to dazzle your friends, you may want to skip the Tojiro. The DP is like that plain girl with the kooky glasses that always wears sweats. She doesn't have guys orbiting her at the bar. But once you start chatting with her, you find she's backpacked thru Tibet, speaks three languages, can quote every line of every Monte Python skit and has every record that XTC ever made- you know, a keeper! The kind that grows on you.
Even though I like my Hattori HD a million times more than my Tojiro DP (which I love as well) that does not take away from the fact that I think your above quote is the single greatest thing I have read on this site ever!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #19
Head Chef

Haha! Glad you liked it, GB! The Tojo, she's that kind ain't she?
Old 08-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

She sure is!

GoGreyhounds, let me just say that I bought both my Tojiro and Hattori based on posts by Rob. He has never steered me wrong.