"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 04-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Cutting chicken

I have been watching a person called Bredam Mcdermott at craftsy on knife skills. He shows you how to do a high cut, low cut, and a pull and horizontal cut. That all works well for veg, but i am wanting to do chicken strips and then dice and i am not to sure which of the above cuts would work? I watch some videos on cutting meat and it looks like they all saw there meat. (even with a chef knife) Which i can see with a serrated knife, but using a chef knife that is very sharp why would you need to saw it?( I thought only saw with a dull knife.) How are you suppose to cut chicken for strips and dice?

Old 04-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Raw chicken is soft and stretchy/pliable if that makes any sense.
You must pull the bladed across the meat to get it cut up. Just as you do with a tomato.
You cannot expect even the sharpest knife to work as its not intended to work.
Get out a sharp chefs knife and see why carrots and celery can be cut straight down without pulling the knife.
Then try to do the same with a tomato. In no time you will understand why.

Its not sawing. Its actually common sense.

Old 04-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Two different things here. How to use a knife and how to cut a chicken breast.

With ANY KNIFE it's correct to use a forward and back motion for slicing. You shouldn't just put the knife on the meat and push straight down. Cut with a sliding motion. Place the knife edge on the food and push down and forward at the same time. So if you start the slicing motion with the front of the knife on the food, you end the slice with the rear of the knife on the food.

It simply doesn't matter much how you cut up a chicken breast. Make long strips by slicing along the length then cut across the long strips to make cubes. Try for pieces that are roughly equal in size so they cook evenly but don't make yourself crazy to get it exact.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

cutting chicken

I find if the chicken breast is partially frozen, it makes it much easier to cut into strips and dice.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
Executive Chef

No clue what those different cuts are. I assume you are talking about strips cut from a boneless, skinless chicken breast. First, I flatten the breast with the heal of my hand or mallet to get it even. Then I cut it with a chef's knife. It takes one stroke to slice cleanly through. I tend to keep my knives sharp and take a steel to it after every use.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

This article has step-by-step directions and explanations for how to slice and dice a chicken breast: Knife Skills: How to Slice Chicken Breast for Stir-Fries | Serious Eats

It's meant to be used with stir fries, but the technique can be adapted for other dishes by slicing or dicing the meat as wide or narrow as you want.
Old 04-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #7
Senior Cook

serious eats looks like the pull cut .....knife comes to him. i was trying to figure out if it was pushing away or pulling towards him like a draw cut too. Some miss communication here..... i know not to put knife on meat and push down. i was asking which of the knife cuts from craftsy would work on chicken. Seeing serious eats i see it looks like the pull cut or draw. Some other videos watched did show it sawing not what we see at serious eats.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #8
Master Chef

Cutting up a chicken breast is awfully simple.

It doesn't matter much how you do it as long as it's sliced and not sawed.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:09 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
serious eats looks like the pull cut .....knife comes to him. i was trying to figure out if it was pushing away or pulling towards him like a draw cut too. Some miss communication here..... i know not to put knife on meat and push down. i was asking which of the knife cuts from craftsy would work on chicken. Seeing serious eats i see it looks like the pull cut or draw. Some other videos watched did show it sawing not what we see at serious eats.
I think that guy made up his own terms for cutting. I've never heard of any of those before - not even in culinary school.

It doesn't matter whether you push forward and down, or pull back and down - the result will be the same. Use whichever one feels more comfortable to you. The important thing is that you want to slice all the way through in one motion.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:21 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
I am not familiar with "Bredan McDermott ". Who is this person? Have to looked at any other videos beside this one person? Although I really hunted and hunted and I couldn't find one video regarding your problem.

Tags
chicken