"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 07-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
They have some good qualities: non-magnetic
Why do you consider non magnetic to be a good quality?

Old 07-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
Executive Chef

I took delivery of a Shun Clasic 5.5" Santuko today. In my opinion it's superior to any of the many (40 or so knives) I own with the exception of my one S30V blade. I sharpen all of my knives and most of them take a good edge but many require a light steeling between use in order for them to retain their ability to make paper thin slices. The one Boker / Kyocera blade that I own was less than sharp new in box and, after several sharpenings, has a better but still marginal sharpness. In short, if ceramics were so great, they'd be Gillettes premium shaving blade.

Old 07-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
...in short, if ceramics were so great, they'd be Gillettes premium shaving blade.
Using that argument, wouldn't the blades be obsidian?

I've never been really good at sharpening, so I'll stick with my ceramics. They are shaper than any steel knife I own.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
In short, if ceramics were so great, they'd be Gillettes premium shaving blade.
I do not think that is a valid argument. Ceramics have been touted as excellent blades, but expensive and brittle. That is not something that would work for Gillette no matter how good the blade is. They need their razors to hold up to abuse. The average person who uses a razor is not going to treat their razor with the same care that they might treat their ceramic kitchen knives.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
Well, I guess I'll be one of those who disagree! Your pro may be a very good sharpener, but in my experience most of van-type sharpeners don't understand that Japanese knives must be sharpened differently. I can easily produce an edge far better than any of the pro sharpeners that work in my city. Still, if it works for you that's the main thing.
Some of the oldtime sharpeners (circa 19?? - 195?) were grinders who were proficient at reestablishing the major bevel on neglected knives. Such a 'sharpening' should last for a decade or more if the edge was subsequently maintained by proper steeling.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:11 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Using that argument, wouldn't the blades be obsidian?

I've never been really good at sharpening, so I'll stick with my ceramics. They are shaper than any steel knife I own.
Obsidian can be quite sharp but the sharpening of obsidian has been normally achieved by a chipping or fracturing process that has not resulted in a particularly uniform edge.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
I took delivery of a Shun Clasic 5.5" Santuko today. In my opinion it's superior to any of the many (40 or so knives) I own with the exception of my one S30V blade. I sharpen all of my knives and most of them take a good edge but many require a light steeling between use in order for them to retain their ability to make paper thin slices. The one Boker / Kyocera blade that I own was less than sharp new in box and, after several sharpenings, has a better but still marginal sharpness. In short, if ceramics were so great, they'd be Gillettes premium shaving blade.

See, I have to call...well, let's say I'm calling "nonsense" here. You don't sharpen a ceramic knife "several times". You sharpen them once every few years, and you have to have them sent away to do it.

Now, if you're implying you sharpen them on your own anyways, well I can't really refute that--but I can shake my head in disbelief you'd do something like that.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:43 AM   #18
Master Chef

Now - I'm really curious, Poppinfresh.

What ceramic knife do you use to cut through bone without damaging it, assuming you mean the knife and not the bone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh
I've dropped em, tossed em in the dishwasher, cut through bone with em...I've only ever had one chip on me and that was because I torqued it while it was in a frozen piece of meat due to something else in the kitchen startling me.
Actually, I don't know of any ceramic knives that possess the properties that you describe. I would certainly like to know what brand and model you are using that can do these things ... I have an Aunt that would love to have one.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I've got a pretty wide range. I've got a number of them from the Damascus line that Kyocera puts out, quite a few Shenzhen Hetiansheng (my personal favorite), a couple of Tachi's.

Two things about it though:

1) They don't recommend you do it. They tell you not to. I've just found I can get away with it. Now this isn't to say I'd try cutting through a leg bone on a lamb with one, but chicken, turkey, etc.? I'll cut away.

2) If you're going to do it, you'd have to do it with the higher end black knives. I don't know the EXACT process that makes them black, but it makes the knives stronger, which will allow them to put up with that kind of abuse. Will some of my white knives be able to? Probably a good chance of it. But it's not something I've ever attempted.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Poppinfresh steared me in the right direction - I am now a loyal fan of ceramics!!!! For $5 you can send up to three knives to Kyrocera for sharpening. They are very light but I like a very light knife.