"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 03-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

I just bought the Lansky Crock Stick Sharpener

Does anyone have one of these or know anything about it? I just ordered one online and should have it tomorrow I hope.

I was using a different Lansky sharpening system, but this one looks much easier to use.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
No I don't have one and no, I haven't heard anything about it. Is this a system to sharpen your knives? GB, how often do you sharpen your knives?

Old 03-23-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah MM this is a knife sharpening system. Those rods are ceramic and the holes in the wood base are drilled at 20 and 25 degrees. What you do is you hold the knife straight up and down and draw it over the rods to sharpen.

I sharpen mine probably about ever 6 months or so. Sometimes a little more often for my chefs and santoku knives (those are the ones that get the most use).
Old 03-23-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
GB, this looks really easy. Let me know how this works. I am scared to death to sharpen knives because I don't know what the heck I am doing and I don't want to ruin the knife. Where I used to live, there was a little old man that came around with a big red car and bell - very comical! However, he sharpened the neighborhood's knives. I don't have that here and am afraid my knives are in need of sharpening. This looks fool-proof. Please let me know how it works.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:34 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I am the same way you are MM. I am scared to ruin my knives by doing it myself. I was using this system previously and it worked well, but it was a bit tedious to use. This one looks much easier. I will be sure to give you a review once I get it
Old 03-23-2006, 09:59 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I've had one of these for a long time. Then when I read about the system you were using, I bought one of those. Hmmmmm???

It is a lot simpler to use. You just have to be sure the knife is in a vertical position as you stroke it through the sticks to ensure you are sharpening at the right angle.

However, I'm not sure how much less tedious it is. You can't really apply a lot of pressure to the sticks when stroking the blade so it takes a lot of strokes to get the job done. What's easier is the elimination of attaching the rig and moving it along the blade.

The down side of buying good quality knives with HARD steel is that it's also HARD to get them sharp when they're not.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:13 PM   #7
Cook

I'd like to know how this one works too. I heard the rod type sharpeners are best because they hold the knife at the proper angle to the stone at all times. In my local area most of the knife sharpening shops are just using a sanding belt and then finishing with a cardboard wheel to a final de-burring. These shops claim they use this sanding belt method for all the area restaurants. I'm scared i might ruin the few good knives i have. What do you chefs that constantly have knives sharpened do?
Old 03-23-2006, 05:21 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary b
I'd like to know how this one works too. I heard the rod type sharpeners are best because they hold the knife at the proper angle to the stone at all times. In my local area most of the knife sharpening shops are just using a sanding belt and then finishing with a cardboard wheel to a final de-burring. These shops claim they use this sanding belt method for all the area restaurants. I'm scared i might ruin the few good knives i have. What do you chefs that constantly have knives sharpened do?
My ceramic knives I have sent in to the manufacturer to have resharpened. All my other knives I contract out to a guy that sharpens them in the back of his van. He's got a whole mess of stuff he uses and I just assume leave it to the professionals. 'Sides, I'm of the belief that no home sharpening system will do the job of someone with years of experience and the extra hardware.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary b
What do you chefs that constantly have knives sharpened do?
They generally send their knives out to shops like you described. The sanding belt type sharpening works well as long as the person doing it knows what they are doing.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I agree with poppinfresh. Division of labor...I'm the guy doing the cooking, some other guy has the power tools.