ISO a nice cheap pack of knives for home.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't read Greek, but those appear to be ceramic knives, which never need sharpening, but they are a bit fragile. If you drop one on a bare floor, such as tile, it could easily break. I have a set of those, which I usually use for cutting up lettuce and other vegetables, because they won't cause the produce to turn black. They are deceptively sharp, which causes a lot of people to handle them like toys until they end up cutting themselves. I think they would be an inexpensive starter set for you, then as you gain more experience and confidence you can start buying more expensive knives.
I think I'll stick with your advice. RpCookig suggested me something very convenient, but these chef's knifes worth about to 50 dollars. I'm still very amateur so I'll stick with the cheap ones.

By cleaning potatoes I assume you mean peeling them. The best vegetable peeler I have found is the Kuhn Rikon y-peeler. And they're cheap, too. A 3-pack is USD 10.

I have a 13 cm boning knife that I use for a smaller jobs when I don't need the big one for anything. If I have to get out the bigger one for something then I'll just use it for everything on that occasion....
A boning knife that size is like a utility knife with a flexible blade. A very handy thing to have and sometimes the only thing that will do the job. It's what I'd buy instead of a "utility knife" if I was starting from scratch again.

There a some really good knives in the 20 dollar range. Honestly, a whole set at 14 bucks is going to be junk. Just simple economics. There is a difference in an inexpensive knife and a cheap knife.

Working with a good quality, but inexpensive knife makes cooking fun and enjoyable, compared to using a knife from a bargain set. I'd rather have one good 8 inch chefs knife, than a whole set of cheap knives that just frustrate me.

I've had both. I even had a set of 20 knives for 2 bucks once. Still have one of them that I use to open packaging.

I would go with this one if I was starting out. It will do pretty much anything you need, and is a quality knife the punches above its price point.

https://www.amazon.com/Kuma-Chef-Knife-Multi-Purpose/dp/B01ERJTK1E

Victorinox, has great and afforable kitchen knifes, they are good as the fancy ones, I prefer Vics over Global.

Also Mora is a good brand but expensive.

IKEA has surprisingly good knifes, vörda and 365+ are both good knifes.

Last edited:
This is my equipment for the past 3 years IMG_20170905_193052.jpg

Not to sound mean, but in three years you didn't pick up even a grocery store chefs knife? Even a 5 or 6 dollar knife would make a huge difference in prep.

Well, compared to what you have been using, anything will be a step up.

Your link is broken.

Not to sound mean, but in three years you didn't pick up even a grocery store chefs knife? Even a 5 or 6 dollar knife would make a huge difference in prep.

Well, compared to what you have been using, anything will be a step up.

Your link is broken.
I don't know why the link is broken, it works when I click it. But anyway, the name of the knife I ordered is: Chef Iron 20 cm masterclass.

A boning knife that size is like a utility knife with a flexible blade. A very handy thing to have and sometimes the only thing that will do the job. It's what I'd buy instead of a "utility knife" if I was starting from scratch again.

I go for my boning knife more than any other ones I have. It is so useful for so many chores. Much easier to wield when doing a close to the bone job, cutting small pieces of meat, etc.

I don't know why the link is broken, it works when I click it. But anyway, the name of the knife I ordered is: Chef Iron 20 cm masterclass.

So, after all the suggestions about handling to make sure it is a comfortable fit, you just ordered one. Ok.:ermm:

So, after all the suggestions about handling to make sure it is a comfortable fit, you just ordered one. Ok.:ermm:
I searched it a lot, it's quite good for its money. Also I don't really have a problem for comfortable fit. I don't think that it will be so uncomfortable.

I searched it a lot, it's quite good for its money. Also I don't really have a problem for comfortable fit. I don't think that it will be so uncomfortable.
The thing is that you can't know without trying out several. It might be okay, but there might also be options that are better. Good luck, though.

Ah your are Crete. Yeah is the main land the only place with an IKEA? I cant remember I do have Greek friend born on Crete working at IKEA.

I hope you find a knife and that you can afford it.

Back
Top Bottom