"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Old 09-15-2004, 11:42 PM   #11
With only $40 to spend, I would live on E-bay if I were you.

A couple of days ago, I was lucky enough to be the high bidder on a great set of carbon steel vintage Sabatier knives for only $55!

choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 11:48 PM   #12
duplicate post........sorry

choclatechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 07:16 AM   #13
Senior Cook

I have 3 Chicago Cutlery knives and I like them a lot. I've had them for 2-3 years now and they still seem to be as sharp as ever.
I dont think I will ever buy a full set of knives because one thing I am learning is that knives are sort of use specific.
I want a knife that I can rock back and forth for chopping Onions and peppers and such
I want a knive with a pretty straight blade of making carrot sticks and other such things so that I can draw the knife through the food with a maximum amount of knife, in contact with the food.
I want a knife that has some weight to it when I am trying to section pineapple or canteloupe or trying to wack the ends off of the pineapple
I want a fairly small knife like a 6"m chefs knife when I am trying to cut the canteloupe off the rind or something else that is not very big.
vilasman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 05:17 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
For the money, either Forschner or Mundial knives. Forschner is well made (by Swiss Army) sell for a very good price. Mundial are quality knives, steel is a little soft but for the budget minded person a great deal.

You can purchase a good 8" or 10" Forschner knife for around $30.00
dougery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 01:11 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
Marcellerella, hai sono Italiano?

As for the knife, if you want to get a knife that lasts you a long time with an excellent edge, youll be spending twice to three times that. But for that much money, go for a gehring.
Pazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 02:37 PM   #16
Assistant Cook
If price is not an object I would recommend a Japanese made western style knife like Masamoto or Misuno. The steel is much harder, retains an edge much better and just far superior construction. Once you use one of these you will never go back.
dougery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 10:49 PM   #17
There are some excellent posts here, but probably none of us can answer definitively or "finally" on the point of your questions...

I have heard all sorts of good reports on the premium Japanese products, that argue that they are about the finest, if the costliest, knives available...

I've carried a Victorinox Swiss Army "Officer" knife in my pocket for 20 plus years, and will fight to support the "quality" issue of this blade maker...

"About" 25 years ago, I spent the big bucks (well, back then, my big chef's knife cost about $40, today its around $150) for Henckel knives with the through tangs, thick, heavy blades, high carbon steel, and at this late date, they are still there for me (though the 6" paring knife has recently been retired) and I have to say that I've been very satisfied with the service they have offered over the years, inasmuch as when "service" is considered against acquisition cost, these were very cheap to buy...

I bought a "set" (which by no means means every knife they offer!) and a "block" to store them in for my godson 6-8 years ago when he was 21, and getting involved in "chef'ing" and cooking for the fun of it, with the advice that he could reasonably afford to buy replacements when they wore out (ie he's be around 50!)

The "Sharpening Steel" is a MUST BUY...and its so simple to use, and keep your cutlery up to service...an unmaintained knife is often a danger to users!

My kids bought me a full set of Henckels last Christmas, but bought the serrated models, (un-resharpenable!) with the light gauge blades...these are in fact out of the box quite sharp (well, there were certainly affordability issues!), and while these will certainly cut tomato, celery, cucumber, bread etc, on a par with the old heavyweights, they will not last, and where a heavyweight blade is required to split a watermelon, coconut (or even a big onion!) they aren't nearly the tool that the big knives are...and will eventually wear out...

A boning knife as an instance...I paid $85 (Cdn$) for a heavyweight, and one of the kids will "inherit" it...not that I'm knocking off anytime soon!...and the cheaper one works fine for now, but in five years will be being re-cycled...

You guys all have your own issues, and if you need a full set NOW, then go to WalMart and get the cheaper short term ones...and if you can spring a few bucks every other month, save up and buy the best you can find...(and use too! That comment on hefting it in your hand is entirely on the mark! I'm 6 feet, 200 lbs, its a bit different if you're 5"-0" nothing and 110 lbs!)

And if you can get a "steal" on EBay, go for it!
Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 02:39 AM   #18
Senior Cook
I have been anxious to try out a Wustoff Santoku but they are expensive to just try out.

Last week I purchased a Wustoff Santoku "look alike" by Fauberware at Linens and Things for $10.00!

I hope the real thing works better than the copy. I am not too impressed with the copy.

The flat edge is a good feature. It seems to cut cleaner than a French knife. The depressions, for lack of the proper name, along the blade don't do any thing for it. When slicing any thing the slices still stick to the blade.

It does have a good balance and fits the hand well. I would like it to be a little heaver.

Hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 08:50 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer
Hi Hungry. I have the real deal and I do like it a lot, but it is a pretty light knife. I use it for veggies and small jobs, but I still use my chefs knife much more. The depressions (I think they are called cullens) do absolutely nothing IMO. They might reduce the friction on paper, but in practice you will never notice a difference.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 10:44 AM   #20
Head Chef
I have the real deal, too, Hungry. (I am blessed with several from the Culinar line.) Like GB, I tend to use my chef's knife almost always for day-do-day cooking, but the Santoku really shines when slicing paper-thin morsels of a chilled smoked salmon or a rare beef tenderloin. It also works very well on see-through slicings of various vegetables. I do consider it a "specialty" knife, though. It comes out rarely, but when it does, it shines admirably for me.

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is Optional.
Audeo is offline   Reply With Quote