Magnetic knife holder for fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why is that? I have several items that attach to my refrigerator with suction cups, and they stay put regardless of the amount of weight. In fact, they're better than magnets because suction cups will not slide down the side of the fridge.

Come to think of it, my radar detector, which weighs about 5 pounds, sticks to my windshield with suction cups, and it don't move until I decide to move it.

If your radar detector pulls the suction cup free from your windshield, you'll still be able to count to 20 with your socks off....

Never, ever put anything on a fridge magnet or a suction cup that you wouldn't want to fall on your foot.

I was looking for the exact same thing for the side of my fridg. and I came across a wonderful solution which I intend to implement. Follow this link for the solution, inexpensive and safe:

Chirp + Chatter: How to be a Knife Ninja

Storing knives in the open air is much more hygienic that stuffing them in a butcher block for years. The side of my fridg. is very close to the counter top and is unused for storage whereas the narrow space between the cupboards and counter top is not wide enough to safely grab knives. I was amazed at all the unnecessary concerns and the idea of screwing it into the side of the refrigerator was obviously not workable nor what I needed.

I was looking for the exact same thing for the side of my fridg. and I came across a wonderful solution which I intend to implement. Follow this link for the solution, inexpensive and safe:

Chirp + Chatter: How to be a Knife Ninja

Storing knives in the open air is much more hygienic that stuffing them in a butcher block for years. The side of my fridg. is very close to the counter top and is unused for storage whereas the narrow space between the cupboards and counter top is not wide enough to safely grab knives. I was amazed at all the unnecessary concerns and the idea of screwing it into the side of the refrigerator was obviously not workable nor what I needed.

I haven't logged into this forum for a couple of years now, but this reply showed up in my email today.

I just want to reiterate what an awful idea this is.

Gravitation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you GB, I can see you are capable of posting Wikipedia links as well ;)
Most commercial kitchens use the magnetic strips for knife storage so I guess some would not feel safe in that environment. I, on the other hand, find it perfectly safe, sanitary and convenient:chef:

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Rob, I am NOT PUTTING IT ON THE DOOR!! I am putting it on the SIDE. Did any of the negative replies read the solution allowing the magnet to to both be magnetized to the side of the refrigerator as well as to allow the knives to stay put?
Really, I just wanted to share a solution to a problem I also had and I made the effort to join this forum to offer a reply other than poo pooing the entire idea. So you can :ROFLMAO: all you want, glad I made your day.
Tendering my resignation from this forum now. :(

Even though no one wants you to skewer you toes, keep in mind that when you pull your knife off the magnet you might end up scratching your fridge with the tip of your knife I to thought this would be a good idea but ended up putting it behind my stove. Even though I have five knives behind my stove I know that my fridge would get scratched. If you have a stainless fridge it might not even stick very well. My knives are so sharp that I will not put them in my drawer.I the do fall they won't damage my floors either. 100_1014.jpg

No need to leave in a huff.:ermm: I'm sure putting it on the side will work better. I still wonder if slamming the door to the fridge might not dislodge a knife but you can sure try it.

At work the knives get slapped on the magnets willy-nilly, sometimes pointed up, sometimes down. They're all 5' off the floor or more and some are mounted over other equipment so they often carrom off of stuff or flip around on the way to the floor. Plus, the mag bars we use aren't that powerful. But the biggest problem is people trying to stick too many knives on one, and crowding one off.

I am also looking for a two-way magnetic knife holder that will go on the side of the frig. I can't seem to find one anywhere. The odd thing is, my ex has one (I think it was a gift). They do exist! (or did) In the 13 years we were together, no knife ever fell on the floor or counter, or accidentally gouged the refrigerator. It was very strong. Too bad they don't seem to be made now.

If you cannot find a double sided magnetic strip, there should be several alternatives that would work. Unless I am totally wrong, all magnets are two sided. What makes the knife strips not stick to metal is the wood, which separates the magnet from the surface. A strip without the decorative wood should work. Just edge the strip with wood trim. There are also small super magnets about the size of a penny. Inletting a few of these on the back side of a typical knife strip would hold it in place. Also there are double sided tapes with strong adhesive that would hold the strip.

By double sided, do you mean it has magnetic surfaces for knives on both sides? How would it mount? If it's intended to hold knives on both sides while mounted somehow, maybe all they mean is that they don't want you to use one magnetic side to stick it to the refrigerator of other metal surface, for fear you'll pull the whole thing loose when pulling a knife off. That could cause a pretty grim sort of multi-bladed affair to come down, maybe on a foot.

However, that sort of warning is often largely legal paranoia, figuring that it could be stuck to a metal surface of a stainless steel that, because of its composition, is weakly magnetic or non-magnetic, and that would make it dangerous.

I bought it at a place that sells woodworking tools and equipment, GLC. What it is, in appearance, is a magnetic bar mounted between two ribbons of steel. It has side-clips which are screwed into the mounting surface.

I've used this type for years, and never noticed the caution before. In fact, I have them on the side of my tool boxes, out in the workshop, held in place just by magnetism. My bad, I reckon.

You're probably right about the warning being more about product liability than reality. But I thought it wouldn't hurt to pass it on.

I am also looking for a two-way magnetic knife holder that will go on the side of the frig. I can't seem to find one anywhere. The odd thing is, my ex has one (I think it was a gift). They do exist! (or did) In the 13 years we were together, no knife ever fell on the floor or counter, or accidentally gouged the refrigerator. It was very strong. Too bad they don't seem to be made now.

I just received a Chef's catalog in the mail and they have the magnetic knife holders in there. www.chefscatalog.com. Depending on what you want they're priced from $30- 80.00. Hope they have what you want.

Back
Top Bottom