"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 02-19-2008, 03:34 AM   #31
Senior Cook

That does seem odd, Caine. Is it a political issue or a product quality issue? Nothing wrong with the former, but, as Bob points out, even the most pedestrian Japanese knives are unrivaled in steel and overall build quality.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:52 AM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
To each his own, but you're almost guaranteeing yourself of getting a poorer product than you otherwise would have by eschewing Japanese cutlery.
It's a little like supporting Blu-Ray or HD-DVD merely because you have one and not the other.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
I find that a bizarre statement! It's like saying you wouldn't drive a German car or drink a French wine! Japanese cultery is hands-down the best in the world. The only competition I know of is from a handful of Western knifemakers trained in Japan, such as Murray Carter.

To each his own, but you're almost guaranteeing yourself of getting a poorer product than you otherwise would have by eschewing Japanese cutlery.
I understand and appreciate the discussions about the best knives and knife steels.

I don't feel the need to have the very best knife available (and don't choose to pay for it). Just as I don't feel the need to have a Ferrari or a Rolls Royce (well, maybe a Ferrari). A very good one that serves my needs is usually just fine.

Those of you who want only the "best" should be able to understand and appreciate that.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #34
Senior Cook

IOSHEN, the home of IOSHEN Knives and Knife Wizard Sharpening Machines - Home

Where can you buy these?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #35
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a View Post

John, I hope you meant ANY of these knives... The blue type above is a link to IOSHEN..

Fine Cutlery - The Best Things

HATTORI Japanese Knife,Japanese Kitchen Knife,Japanese Chef's Knives.Com

Old 02-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I don't feel the need to have the very best knife available (and don't choose to pay for it). Just as I don't feel the need to have a Ferrari or a Rolls Royce (well, maybe a Ferrari). A very good one that serves my needs is usually just fine.

Those of you who want only the "best" should be able to understand and appreciate that.
Actually I don't understand it. A buddy of mine did buy a Ferrari two weeks ago. Now, just like you, putting 300 large of my own for a car puts me in the gag mode. For him, however, it's worth it. In his words, "I'm 65. What am I going to do, wait 'till I'm 75?"

As for Japanese knives we're talking a different world all together. Knives are used daily in the kitchen. For an endeavor given so much of your time why wouldn't you want to have a sharp instrument that makes everything easier and is a pure pleasure to use? And, you don't have to break the bank. You can get an excellent 210mm (8.2") Gyuto here for the cost of filling your car up with gas one time. The knife will last you the rest of your life. For a fifty dollar bill you can toss that old betamax in the garbage.

"There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and those who have met them in battle. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." Unknown
buzzard767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:12 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I understand and appreciate the discussions about the best knives and knife steels.

I think our disagreements stem more from what constitutes "good enough" rather than what the "best" is.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
I think our disagreements stem more from what constitutes "good enough" rather than what the "best" is.

...and what's going to be "good enough" is different for each person. Each individual decides that for himself, no others need to or waste time disagreeing over what's better for me or anyone else other than themselves.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #39
Head Chef

I guess I have no problem with whatever a person chooses to buy, but in this case I agree completely with Buzzard. I have several Tojiro's, and they're what finally led to abandon German knives altogether. Before getting my first Tojo I reasoned that while Japanese knives were great, not everyone would be willing to pay $125 or more per peice. And as much as I loved my Shun's, obviously not everyone will find them worth the money. But anyone who's considering dropping $50-100 on a Wusthof or Henckles would be smart to check out a Tojiro first. The only use I still have for my Germans is to carry in my work roll, usually to lend out. A couple guys have cut themselves on my Tojiros and are too afraid of the scary edge to use them! I let those guys hack up parsley with my Wusthof.

Unless you have a political or emotional problem with Japan for some reason, I think anyone looking for a good blade is cheating themselves by ignoring Japanese cutlery. And obviously if you just don't want stuff that's not made in America, you can dismiss most of the other big names, too.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Actually I am interested in the IOSHEN knife sharpeners.