"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
Old 07-22-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Rada Knives Anyone?

I came across one of these knives by accident. My son, after coming home for a brief period after college, had left a butcher's knife behind. It sat there in it's sleeve for ages before I even used it. I think I finally used it when my Henkel butcher knife was in use when family was at the house helping prepare a holiday meal. I loved that Rada butcher knife. As silly as it seems (and there were no markings on the knife) I never noticed the maker until a few months ago... it was on the sleeve! I did some research on these American made knives and they have a pretty good rep! And they are (I hate using this word for something good) CHEAP! I've recently purchased several. They are great for my small hands. German knives are great, but heavier and not really the best for smaller hands. I was going to research some Japanese knives, but I'm now a big fan of Rada knives. And it feels good to buy American made!

I'm curious if others here have tried them. I am very happy with mine! Rada site is linked below.

Rada Knives

We may never know how good a recipe really is... because we always change them. -- Doris B. (Mom)
JanetMlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Senior Cook
Oh yes I do! I bought my two at an upscale kitchen store in Blue Ridge Georgia. I have a serrated vegetable slicer that is fantastic....very light with a thin flexible blade that is scalpel sharp. I finally found a knife sharp enough to cleanly slice my sushi rolls. The other is a wedge-shaped pie knife that is also razor sharp and serrated on one side. Ever have a tough time cutting through various baked products? This sharpened pie knife does the trick. My next trip up to Blue Ridge I plan to buy a couple more. They are reasonably priced too.

chiklitmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
Head Chef
I have a little birds beak paring knife that I like. I did not like the peeler and the stirring spoon I bought--very uncomfortable handles.
I just haven't been the same
since that house fell on my sister.
sparrowgrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:39 PM   #4
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
My whole first set was Rada, I bought a new knife at the flea market as I could afford them. I enjoyed quite a few years with those knives. My niece now had the set and loves them. She had her Amazon wish list pulled up on the computer one day and I noticed that she had these knives listed, so when I returned home, I mailed her my set that I had put away, she was super excited to get them. I now use Wusthoff knives and love them even more. Rada is excellent for tight budgets and will last a lifetime if taken care of. Do yourself a favor and but the sharpener, it's a really slick little gadget.

I still have my Rada bread knife because it's fantastic at cutting cake layers, and a paring knife, because it's just darned fantastic.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
Master Chef
I have one of their pairing knives and love it. I have a real collection of different sized paring knives. I found my Rada at an Amish touristy store in Walnut Creek OH. They had a huge display of them; must have offered every single knife Rada makes. Since I was unfamiliar with the brand I bought the one paring knife...for about $5! Had I known how much I would like it I might have considered a couple other types. Well, just one more reason to move back to OH!
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #6
Assistant Cook
Yes, Rada is a household name for me, too, although I don't own one for myself! But I am happy to read about it here again. Between Japanese Santoku knives and German Wusthof brand, it's good to know that there a AMERICAN quality knives as well.

ChefT is offline   Reply With Quote