"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-06-2008, 03:14 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Lansky. I use the 17 setting (the angle measurements are not particularly accurate) for all my knives. On my cheaper knives, specifically those made with 420 steel, I used the 20 degree setting because the edge had a tendency to roll easily with a sharper angle. I also use the 20 degree setting on my Joyce Chen Chinese chef's knife since the blade is so darn deep.

Just make sure you move the clamp on longer knives. Five inches is about as long as a blade can be without the Lansky making the edge bevel look out of whack.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #32
Executive Chef

I have a Chefs' Choice knife sharpener and it does wonders for sharpening kitchen knives!

Old 01-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #33
Executive Chef

I've seen scores of knives which were screwed up by a variety of people using electric knife sharpeners.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:32 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Chances are, they didn't know what they were doing.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #35
Chief Eating Officer

Actually Corey, it has nothing to do with knowing what they are doing. Those electric sharpeners are great for knives you don't care much about. They do get them sharp, but it comes at a cost. They remove a lot of metal which is something I do not want to do with my good blades.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Which is why I wait until the knives are so dull to the point where they won't even cut or slice tomatoes. That is one of the toughest foods to cut with a dull knife.

Also, I've been told many times, especially in the culinary arts training course I was in, that a dull knife is the most dangerous knife to use, for it could slip off the food that you are trying to cut and you could get a nasty cut.

Would you concur with that?
Old 01-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
...Also, I've been told many times, especially in the culinary arts training course I was in, that a dull knife is the most dangerous knife to use, for it could slip off the food that you are trying to cut and you could get a nasty cut.

Would you concur with that?
I don't agree. The reason most knife cuts happen is because people are being caeless with their knives. Dull or sharp may impact the nature of the cut, but if you are careful, either dull or sharp will work.

If you are using a dull knife, you automatically adjust your stroke and handling of the knife to accommodate the changes in the blade.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #38
Executive Chef

I have a Chinese clever that I often like to use for cutting and slicing veggies and fruits. So I try to keep it sharp.

Was going to use it last night, but to save time and get out of the kitchen sooner, I cheated and used the food processor instead. Haha!!

Since it was getting late, I doctored up some Stove Top Stuffing. But I'll never use that again because it has a high sodium content!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

I agree with Andy. I do not think a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one for the reasons he pointed out.

Corey, if you believe that a dull knife is more dangerous then you are not being as safe as you could be based on what you said in post #36. If you feel it is so dangerous then why would you purposely wait until your knives are so dull they won't even cut a tomato? according to what you believe, that is the most dangerous thing you can do. Wouldn't it make more sense to use a sharpening system that does not remove so much metal that you need to wait until the knife is dangerously dull (according to what you believe) instead of using an electric sharpener that removes so much metal that you feel it necessary to wait so long before you use it?
Old 01-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #40
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
Lansky. I use the 17 setting (the angle measurements are not particularly accurate) for all my knives. On my cheaper knives, specifically those made with 420 steel, I used the 20 degree setting because the edge had a tendency to roll easily with a sharper angle. I also use the 20 degree setting on my Joyce Chen Chinese chef's knife since the blade is so darn deep.

Just make sure you move the clamp on longer knives. Five inches is about as long as a blade can be without the Lansky making the edge bevel look out of whack.
Thats the one! Thanks for the advice :) Perhaps I'll do a 17 and then a 20 just to get a bevel.