"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 01-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
True, but they do have a few exclusives. You can only get an Elite 6" serrated tomato knive or 6" Chef knife from Sur La Table. And Williams-Sonoma is the exclusive carrier of the Shun Kaji line.
Normally, particular store exclusives, like specific celebrity chef designs, are inferior to the company's standard bearing product,

Old 01-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
I'm a Shun fanboy, and they are great knives. I'm not absolutely positive I could call them the very top of the line, at least not until I get a chance to try a Hattori KD with Cowry X steel or a handmade Murray Carter. Certainly you'll have no trouble finding a knife ten times more expensive than a Shun Elite, but obviously it's not likely to be ten times better!

Btw, one knife I've been meaning to try is the Hattori KF. The blade are made completely of V-Gold 10 steel, not San Mai like most Japanese knives. They were designed my Ichiro Hattori in collaboration with some members of Knifeforums.com. They're a bit spendier than the Shun Elites but they look very good, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. Eventually there will even be an "upgraded" KF line utilizing Cowry X steel.
The Hattori KD are beautiful knives, unfortunately, I doubt I'll ever own one. On the mean time, however, my Hiromoto Tenmi Jyuraku Ltd ed. and Aogami Supers have been performing very well. The shape of those linen micarta handles of the Hattori KF's look fabulous, they are reasonably priced as well. It looks as if Koki has 'em in stock too. BTW, the Shun Kaji line looks hot! Damascus with SG-2 powdered steel core.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #13
Senior Cook

As WOW as some of the knives can be eventually they all need to be sharpend. I think that if you have a knife that has never needed to be sharpend then you really aren't using it that much. Given those ideas then if you aren't using them then no matter what the price one could be spending to much on a knife. I agree buy knives you will really use. I also submit buy the steels, stones, diamond stone, ceramic steel or stone that keeps the edge perfect. Touch up as you use it so it isn't ever out of hone and learn how to use the steels and stones for the best edge. I've found a leather strop and chromium powder can effect an edge in a subtle but unbelievable way even for a more typical blade.

Given the practical it still sounds fun to have such an awesome knife in your hand bravo if you can afford it!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine View Post
Normally, particular store exclusives, like specific celebrity chef designs, are inferior to the company's standard bearing product,

True as a rule, but the Kaji's have been very favorably reviewed. IIRC a prestigious blade mag named them Best of the Year. In some ways they look to be above Shuns Elite line. They use SG-2 steel but with a "Damascus" jigane, unlike the "pedestrian" construction of the Elites. I dunno if they're better or not, but they're certainly no "junkers."
Old 01-17-2008, 03:31 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Btw, one knife I've been meaning to try is the Hattori KF. The blade are made completely of V-Gold 10 steel, not San Mai like most Japanese knives. They were designed my Ichiro Hattori in collaboration with some members of Knifeforums.com. They're a bit spendier than the Shun Elites but they look very good, and I've heard nothing but good things about them. Eventually there will even be an "upgraded" KF line utilizing Cowry X steel.
I've never been too hip on laminates either, and VG-10 seems like the kind of steel that would do just as well on its own as it would in a san mai. And Cowry X? I think I'd want as much as I could afford!
Old 01-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #16
Head Chef

I personally love laminates. There's really no reason that the whole blade be made of "super steel," just the core cuts. But as I've said I'd love to try one of the Hattori KF's made entirely of VG10, or the upgraded version in pure Cowry X!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:43 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoffour View Post
As WOW as some of the knives can be eventually they all need to be sharpend. I think that if you have a knife that has never needed to be sharpend then you really aren't using it that much.
Au contraire, mon ami. I have a 6-inch ceramic chef's knife that I use to cut up lettuce and slice tomatoes, and I doubt very much if it will ever need to be sharpened in my lifetime.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #18
Senior Cook

LOL okay I'll agree with that but I was thinking in the context of the thread that is all about metal knives. Out of curiousity how would you sharpen a ceramic knife it was dull?
Old 01-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Typically, you send it back to the manufacturer to sharpen. I have a Kyocera and they only charge $10 for SH.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:10 AM   #20
Head Chef

Ben Dale mentions being able to sharpend ceramic knives with diamond stones lke the DMTs. Diamonds are the only thing harder than ceramic iirc. It might be slow going but it would probably work.