"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 03-17-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up What knives are the best?

Any experiences with Giesser and Sanelli knives? Whats better? All suggestion welcome!!!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Head Chef

Welcome to DC.

Josie

Old 03-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #3
Executive Chef

there is no best. What fits your style of cooking and your hand (and your cash outlay) is what's best.

What do you really need? Chef knife, paring knife, (possibly: boning knife, fillet knife), slicing knife, bread knife (serrated). You can spend over $100 a knife. You can also check out a restaurant supply and get Forschner or Mundial, good food service equip. for mush less. They will sharpen well and hold an edge and you'll get 4 or 6 knives for the cost of one fancy knife.

What do you really want? answer these questions and you'll know what to get. It doesn't matter what I have in my kitchen...I'm not you.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #4
Master Chef

Absolutely the perfect answer, Robo.

Welcome to DC, plymoutan........enjoy reading the hundreds of posts on the knife forum.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 02:43 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

OK, thanks to your replay, but Im not the cook begginer. Im working in restaurant and hotel business 25 years. Actually Ive got Giesser knives for 7 years and Im satisfied at all, but Ive tried couple of Sanelli knives and Im really amazed!!! Thats why Im asking here for any suggestions and experiences. Anyway thanks for your reply and have good day Robo.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
I'm with Robo.
Honestly, I've read so many things about so many brands of knives and have never really had the same outcome when testing.
You say you have been in the industry? Then really, go with which ever knife you feel would hold up to that sort of abuse..and which ever makes you happy like a school girl.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

What did you find amazing about the Sanelli knives? Their ability to cut, take a keen edge and hold it, ease of sharpening? Since you are in the industry, do your co-workers respect others knives, or is every knife up for grabs? How much money can you stomach losing, if a knife gets ruined or stolen? In the kitchen Japanese knives are at the top of the heap. Their hard steel allows for thin and light knives, which take a very keen edge. It is possible to refine the edge on a Japanese knife, that it glides effortlessly through food. This isn't a good thing. Some Japanese cooks, use a term, which means run away knife. They believe a little friction is good. The down side of Japanese knives, with the hard metal, they are fragile and will chip if they run into bone or a hard vegetable. To get the most out of them, a person needs to learn how to sharpen. German knives have softer metal, and can stand up to the abuses of a working kitchen. When the edge hits something hard it will roll instead of chipping. A steel can usually straighten the edge. Then there are the knives made for the service industry. They get the job done at a reasonable price. Their steel can't take an edge and hold it like a Japanese knife. Hope this helps, Jay
Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I'm sorry that I have no advice to offer, only a question of my own. I love the blade design of the santoku knives. You can slice and dice more quickly without having half a potato suctioned to your knife. I'm sure there is a technical term for this design, but I call them air pockets :) However, I just can't get comfortable with the flat edge. I need the rock and roll of a traditional chef knife. Is there a hybrid knife that combines the best of both worlds? Or am I doomed to choose between the two?

Btw, no intentions of interrupting your thread, just figured there was no sense in starting a brand new thread for what I assume is probably a simple Q&A
Old 03-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Plymountan: If you have worked with the same knife for so long, then come across one that you feel does a much better job, then that answers your own question. As Robo said, it's about what works for you.

SXOSLO1: Check out the Zasshu Knife, it might answer what you need.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:05 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxolso1 View Post
I'm sure there is a technical term for this design, but I call them air pockets :)
Those "pockets" are called grantons. A German maker might all so call them kullens.

Tags
knives