What are the best poppy seeds cakes in your opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
do you have some tips about poppy seeds?

i bought a wonderful poppy seed cake today..

if you want to see a photo of the cake tell me

so many seeds

no..
i don't know if the texture comes from a dates mash..
it is very common and cheap to buy dates mash in israel..

I'd love to see a photo of it. Does the package list the ingredients?

My aunt gave me her recipe for lemon-poppy seed cake many years ago. Citrus is in season here right now. I should make it this weekend.

here it is

there is no packege

after you make. send a picture here

Attachments

• 93060a40-912a-4511-b930-e11b76577e70.jpeg
    93060a40-912a-4511-b930-e11b76577e70.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 11
That looks similar to a German poppy seed roll. In Germany, you can buy canned ground poppy seeds in use as a filling in cakes and pastries.

This brings back memories of a store I used to go to, on the upper E side of New York city - Lekvar By The Barrel, which was a Hungarian grocery, that sold lekvars, as well as poppy seed paste, out of small barrels, like you often see dry goods sold out of. They had a bunch of spices there, too, and really good deals on some unusual cookware. They went out of business in the late 80s, I think. Another couple of blocks away was another well known Hungarian store - Paprika Weiss - where I would stock up on spices, and also got some unusual cookware. They had the poppyseed paste in packets, you could squeeze it from, like some of the tamarind concentrate comes in Indian markets. It's funny how I used to have to travel so far, to get many foods, and now some are available in supermarkets!

The only cake I made with a lot of poppy seeds had some lemon flavoring, to, with a generous amount of zest added. The same with some cookies I've made.

That looks similar to a German poppy seed roll. In Germany, you can buy canned ground poppy seeds in use as a filling in cakes and pastries.
I've remembered that kind of cake since Germany. I've always said I would make one and, of course, never have.
Thank you for the link GG! Guess I will now have to start a serious effort to rectify that off the list of "Never Have I Ever".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom