"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 08-22-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
Head Chef

Wow, this knife feels good!!

Ok so i have never learned to use a knife the proper way becasue i dont own a proper knife. im used to 2$ knives from wal mart and what not. So the other day i decided i was going to buy me some knives. first came out the pampered chef catalog. thumbed threw it for a few knives and decided that they were to expensive for me. Went to the local spoons and spice kitchen store and they showed me some henckel and zwilling knives. Roughly the same price as the pampered chef. so being discouraged and frustrated, wondering how am i ever going to afford a good chefs knife. i went into the kitchen and opened up all our draws to see what we have. low and behold i see a chefs knife buried under all the rubble of kitchen utinsels. pull it out and its a mundial. started to look more and more and i found a total of 10 high quality knives. 3 mundials and 7 twin master henckles and zwilling knives. i was pretty stoked. all dull and damaged of course but i found a place that will professionally sharpen them for 3$ a knife.

so theres my story, heres my question. what is a chefs knife used for and what is a santoku used for and what is "rocking" a knife. bare in mind i have never used "real" kitchen knives before. all i know is that the knives feel comfortable in me hand. oh and how do i trnsport the knives. i need to take them in to get sharpend but i do not have a block or any type of covers. should i wrap them in paper towels and place them in a bag

Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Wrap your knives in paper towels or newspaper for transport. below is a link to a quick primer on knife use. You should be abke to find videos on google for more instruction.

Knife Skills

Old 08-22-2007, 10:19 AM   #3
Head Chef

sweet thanx man. im pretty excited to get all my knives sharpened. i have two 8 inch chefs knifes, two 4 inch steak knives, two 10 inch bread knives, two 6 inch bone knives and two other knives that i do not know what they are.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Well you are off to a good start. You know that how a knife feels in your hand is one of the most important things.

A chefs knife can be used for just about anything. 99% of things you would need a knife for, a chefs would work. A santoku can be used much the same way, but a Santoku is more of a slicing knife (great for slicing veggies).

Rocking means when you hold the tip of the knife down on the board and "rock" the blade up and down. the curve of a chefs knife makes this easy. A Santoku does not have as much of a curve so that makes it a little more difficult, but it can still be done.

To transport them, I would take a towel and roll them up in that. There are many other safe ways too, but that is the first that comes to my mind.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #5
Head Chef

hmm. sweet. im taking them in today to get sharpened and since i do not own a block im buying sleeves for them. maybe i can make my own custom sleeves or something to keep them sharp but in the drawer.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:46 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
i went into the kitchen and opened up all our draws to see what we have. low and behold i see a chefs knife buried under all the rubble of kitchen utinsels. pull it out and its a mundial. started to look more and more and i found a total of 10 high quality knives. 3 mundials and 7 twin master henckles and zwilling knives.
Did the knives just suddenly appear?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I have to ask, How did you Not know you had them in your kitchen Drawer????

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Head Chef

LOL. i never look in those drawers. they were in the tool draw. the last draw i would ever look in for knives. i keep my own tools in my room. any way three of them that i knew of were in one draw but the other 7 were in the tool draw. and yes they did suddenly appear. we have a bunch of crap in our 5 drawers. my mom is a pack rat. i asked my mom why they were in there and she said becasue they are crappy knives. i said" mundials and JA henckels are not crappy." she said well they went dull in the first 2 months. i said "did you keep in the block or the drawer with the tools and other kitchen stuff." she said the drawer. so now i know why they went dull. any way im excited becasue now i have a whole new set of my own knives becasue i told mom that they are mine now. LOL. she just told me that we even have a cutco out in the garage draw or some other draw becasue it went dull also.

EDIT

all the Draws = drawers
Old 08-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

These are a great way to store and transport your knives if you don't want to use a block or magnetic strip.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #10
Head Chef

yeah i was looking for something like that. those are cool. man i cant wait to try them out. as in i cant wait to try out my sharp knives