"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Gear: Grills, Smokers & Pits

Old 06-12-2007, 12:22 AM   #11
Cook

Send a message via AIM to swinchen Send a message via Skype™ to swinchen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
I retract that statement.

Saturday I decided to see just how accurate the thermometer was on my smoker and I found it to be about 25 deg. too low.

I'm going to contact the company, then see what options are out there for a more accurate replacement.
Woa... if you find something out let me know.

I will try what AllenOK suggests (thanks for the pointer) tomorrow and see how that works. Mine is off by over 50 degrees. Either that or my probe is messed up, maybe I should try that in boiling water. hmmm... I shall experiment :)

Thanks,
Sam

Old 06-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Yep, there's a hex-nut on the back. Easy fix.

I have to give credit to you all. I never even thought to check to see if my thermometer is accurate or not. I've been smoking with it now for three years, and always just blindly trusted that it was accurate. I haven't had any serious mishaps, due to temperature, that weren't my fault. (Knock on wood)

Old 07-28-2007, 12:16 AM   #13
Head Chef

Smile

Hello I live in western Colorado and have access to Peach tree limbs and some time the trunk which I use for all my smoking.. I start my fire with Kingsford charcoal and maintain it with soaked peach wood and it all ways turnes out just fine I have been using it now for 5 years. When I first got it i had a terrible time trying to keep the temp where I wanted it but with primarily a wood fire I leave the vent on the fire box open about 1/2 inch and the smoke stack wide open and it works for me. Mine Is a 3/16 steel Char broiler smoker (home Depot $150.00 5 years ago)
Keep the fire burning Dave